Coop Plus in Seattle.. anyone deal with them?

I was so angry when this happened to me that I was posting "beware" ads on Craigslist everytime I saw his ad run. I was hoping I had run him off of Craigslist...but apparently scamming is lucrative and he's back in business. I get really frustrated when honest, hardworking people get conned by deadbeats like him.

sorry to hear about your situation, i ordered a prefabbed coop last summer and i HATE it. WHoever designed it didn't know chickens and I had done a lot of research (my first time with chickens) unfortunately, not enough research when it came to how the coop should be set up inside. They are well known and an advertiser in poultry magazine so I thought it'd be perfect. Now i'm stuck with a POS until next spring, and it cost me $500. I also have been checking craigslist for sheds because a lot of them can be made into coops. Good luck but be careful on prefabbed, i won't make that mistake again. Live and Learn right?

Found this by doing an internet search

I have have the great misfortune of putting my trust in Scott at Coops Plus, and
am now out a deposit, and am busy making arrangements for a coop for my young
chickens. I just wanted to put the warning out to this amazingly wonderful
community. I know Kathy shared her similar experience last week when I emailed
about needing a coop on a short timeline, and have been communicating with her.
And I wanted to thank everyone who responded to offer help and suggestions and
especially to Nancy who let me borrow her chicken tractor temporarily.

So anyway, if you want the details, here they are. If you look on Craigslist
for a coop, (even now) you will likely find a posting by him (just search
coopsplus - if it's not there it's likely been flagged by all the people in the
area who are ticked at him). My family went up to Stanwood to see the coops in
person - they are really nice well made coops, and at a great price! He will
earn you trust, make you laugh, impress you will his chicken knowledge and
interest. When you finalize the details of the coop you want he will ask you
for a 50% deposit. He will string you along for months with various excuses
about why your coop is not ready or not delivered. From Kathy's experience, if
I ever get in touch with him again, I will likely hear that "ok your check is in
the mail" and of course it never will be.

Tomorrow morning I will call the police department, file a report, start a small
claims suit - whatever I need to do. Likely nothing will come of it, probably
just a live and learn situation, but hopefully I can keep at least a couple
people for being a victim of his scam.

Feeling sheepish-
Cory​

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/seattlefarmcoop/message/8724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenzero

Also wanted to add, be sure to check craigslist to see if people in your area are selling coops, You can also hire a carpenter, and if you show them pictures and plans, they would be able to build it for you. Just gotta find a guy who has built a coop or two.
I have tried the carpenter route and their quotes were way high, as in adding a room to a house high. Hope you have better luck.
I just discovered your post from last year when I did a google search on this ***hole from CoopsPlus who just burned me. This is exactly what happened to me this Feb/March. I have filed a report with the Snohomish County Sheriff and am looking for more people to step up with similar stories so I can establish a pattern of fraud. I really thought he was legit because of the additional website and his level of communication. I could care less about my money at this point, I'm ****** and want to shut him down. I would really like any information you have, and if you've corresponded with others like us...I think our best chance to catch him is in numbers.

-Sandy
If you have a receipt for the deposit, you are better off going to small claims court, at least there you'll get your money back. Even if you can convince the police ( good luck with that) to press charges, you will never see a penny.
I tried buying a coop from Scott Persons at coopsplus.com and Scott was very amusing and won over my trust. I gave him money for a coop and he disappeared. I later found out he is a con artist and liar. He is very funny, personable and seems well spoken. He will steal your cash to buy booze. If you want a coop buy somewhere else. The whole family is in on the scam. If you hear from him and know where he is call 911 immediately he is a wanted man.
We need to have a scammer thread on BYC. I live in Michigan and got taken, although not quite so badly, from Destiny Farms on the same kind of deal.

After the debacle with Scott Persons of Coops Plus I found another guy (there are decent people on Craigslist) who builds amazing cedar coops. It is called NW Custom Cedar LLC and their number is 425-681-5793...he is out of Stanwood. I think he does fencing during the Spring/Summer and builds these really nice coops during the Winter...he delivered it on a flatbed pulled by a Hummer. The guy obviously sells a few of these, but it was worth every penny I paid. He was super professional. I wanted something that looked good in our yard, as well as being functional. It has a small enclosed run on the bottom with a few access doors, cute little doors to access eggs from the nest boxes, a shingle roof, and I opted for the pull out tray for easy cleaning. I built an additional run which attaches to the side for additional run space, but he also offers and builds nice looking runs for an additional charge. It looks like a mini-version of our house which is what we were going for. Hope this helps your search!

I try REALLY HARD to be laid back, easy going type of guy...However, when a business burns me, all bets are off & it's take no prisoners. More than once, I have sued the business into bankruptcy, or burned them back so bad that nobody would deal with them any more.
It sounds like that is what needs to be done about this *cough,cough* and the sooner it is done the better everyone will be. Just remember that in a lawsuit of any kind, the motto is, "TAKE NO PRISONERS, KILL THEM ALL, LET GOD SORT THEM OUT." Now I do NOT mean "kill" in the literal sense, I just mean it as a figure of speech, nothing more.

I really didn't want to spend any more of my time and/or money pursuing a small claims lawsuit that I am sure he wouldn't show up for anyway. The guy is obviously a piece of s#$@ and I can tell by his Intellus report that he jumps around all over the Puget Sound, so I doubt anyone could even serve him. I've got better things to do with my time and energy, but I did put some effort into filing a police report with the Snohomish Sheriff's department and if I ever see his ads on Craigslist I call him out online. Shame on me for giving someone off of Craigslist a deposit. I should have listened to my instincts on this one, but I was so excited to get my chicks I wasn't really thinking.

Keep flagging his post on craigslist. The dude is a real jerk. Posting in forums, file complaints with the BBB & IRS. Keeping an eye out can put him out of business.

Don't deal with this guy, total scammer.... I helped him start that website and invested $ with him to buy supplies/tools for building coops (5K)... even signed an agreement, took the money, and bunch of promises and excuses followed... It's been almost 2 years and I haven't done anything about it yet. If you have ideas, my email... [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom