Coop potpourri?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rguerra75, Nov 14, 2013.

1. rguerra75

rguerra75 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    NC
    At our new local store they had some herb/flower mixture you could put in your coop to make is smell really good. The owner says she used 1/4 cup and it really last for a long time. But it came in a pretty small bag and was $$.

Has anyone tried something like that? Or made their own? Have a cheap source for herbs?

Our coop isn't horrible or anything but nice would be....well nicer :)

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I grow some of my own herbs from seed and dry those and toss them in. I would not use basil again, but rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint, and sage are all nicely aromatic, so if I have extra I throw them in the coops. The chickens nibble at some of them. I would say that I don't notice a distinct difference in smell--after the first day, the smell tends to dissipate. Large quantities of pine needles and pine bedding has helped more with smells than with herbs. Just my advice [​IMG]

3. freerange4me

freerange4me New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I have an extensive herb and flower garden so making my own coop-pourie is fairly cheep for me.
    I scatter 1/2 a cup of it in the coop one ever other week or so; I have a small flock of only 4 birds so if you have more then I would say at least 1 cup.
    I use a mix of the following:

4 cups of fine pine shavings
    2 cups of crushed pine spills
    2 cups of cedar shavings
    1 cup dried lavender flowers
    1 cup dried mint
    1/4 cup dried thyme
    1/4 cup dried chamomile flowers
    1 cup comfrey
    1 cup dried and finely minced orange peels or lemon peels.
    1/4 cup DE diatomaceous earth (food grade only!)
    1/4 cup epsom salt

Mix all of the ingredients together in a storage tub with a lid on it. This will last you about a year and it not only smells amazing but the DE and Epsom salt keep your birds pest free!

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We have a nice herb garden. -regularly clip mint and lavender, tie them with some twine and ribbon, and hang them on hooks inside the coop (8 x 12 shed). -have also used rosemary. The coop stays fragrant and odor-free!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by