Coop Progress, Slow.

donhenry

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Here are update photos of my coop progress. I keep changing the plans, stopping and starting. The roof was going to be ruff cut wood, now it is metal. A neighbor said I should have a dryer roof and gave me a roll of tar paper. Just tar paper would look bad. I had a 50' sheet metal roll, so it is standing seam sheet metal now. Already had most of the material. The 50' role wasn't enough so I spent $18 for a 10' roll of 20" wide sheet metal. A friend gave me three chickens. Found four eggs this morning. Brown eggs are easier to peel because of the color contrast. Chicks are coming end of January so I better get it done .

That is going to be a great coop! Looks sturdy and weather proof! Nice job! Now I want one!!!
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
, from Virginia! That definitely looks like it's going to be a nice looking coop your gals will enjoy! Great job!
thumbsup.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
That looks like it's going to be a very nice coop!

Coop substantially complete. Chickens have been staying in a cage I placed on the coop platform. Last night I removed the cage and used the newly enclosed coop.
For some reason they didn't roost, they stayed on the floor. The roosting frame was new to them. Maybe my roost dimensions weren't chicken friendly.
Anyway here are the latest photos. I broke down and bought two sheets of 3/4" treated plywood at $34 a sheet. I need to finish and the scrap lumber approach was slowing things. Now I can burn all the old fence materials and clean up the yard. I have 22 1 month old Minorca chicks caged. I may but them into the coop tonight with a heating lamp and the three adult hens.
Now I need to place hinges and a latch on the back of the coop, make 4 nesting dividers for the left side of the coop & complete the plank. Oh, and a nice paint sceam to complete the construction. When that is done I'll study micro controllers and maybe start working on auto door.
Painting white on the inside may help them roost earlier. They stay out longer now. I think it has something to do the lack of light on the inside. I'll paint the inside white, maybe this will help them. I watched a chicken try to jump on the roost but missed and collided with the roost. They need a little white paint inside to help. It looks too rustic for me, I need to spruce it up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom