Coop progress

EMAE

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Hudson Valley, New York
Well, I never posted pictures of the brooder I built. I'll get that up here at some point. I've been working on the coop for a while. Decided to make it maybe bigger than necessary, if it ever needs to be repurposed. šŸ˜ƒ. Coop is six and a half by eight and a half feet. Maybe a little short at about 7 ft and the high end. Built on black locust posts with some oak framing, advantek floor with a vinyl sheet protection layer. Walser framed with 2x4 and sheathed with scrap plywood. I've just installed the tyvek. Planning on pine board siding from a new little lumber mill and metal roofing.

IMG_20200614_104447.jpg

Decided to make it maybe bigger than necessary, if it ever needs to be repurposed.
Excellent decision!!

Why the tyvek?
You might need more ventilation in a chicken coop vs a human house.
Love the big roof overhangs, good to protect said ventilation.

Welcome to BYC! @EMAE
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592258757999.png

Well, I put the Tyvek to ensure long term durability, also to reduce drafts. I put in a total of about 16 square feet of ventilation (there is more around the back that you can't see) not including the door.

Well, this is taking a lot longer than I thought! Windows and doors framed. Nest box framed. Now I just need to put in hardware cloth finish the nest box, build a door, and build the interior amenities.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_185353.jpg
    IMG_20200620_185353.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom