Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rock Home Isle, Apr 25, 2012.
Vey nice set-up and a great use of your available backyard space!!! ~Beulah
Love your coop/run area! I've enjoyed reading about your progress.
I'm in the process of building a coop for my silkies/showgirls, and then will start on another for my Easter Eggers.
I've just gotten into chickens, and chicken math has completely spiraled out of control
I never was any good at math:/
Here here, I couldnt agree more.
Your talk about duck eggs in baking inspired me to buy 4 ducks. I think I may need a spouse who isn't so willing to get animals. We are HORRID with animals. lol
The pullets need a dust box...that is a new item on the to-do-list. They now have 3 places in my yard that they dust bath. My garden seems to be their most favored location bar none...So they need a dust box.
Its kind of crazy watching this group of birds dust bath...they all want to be in the same 12 X 12 inch piece of realestate. Legs, wings and bodies going every which way; there are 5 pullets and 1 cockerel in both of these photos.
I'll build them a dust box...
My son will be in High School next year. He went with members of his 8th grade class on an end of year educational trip back east. They are now in Washington DC and New York seeing our nations capital and just enjoying the east coast for a few days. They left yeasterday morning, we had to have him at the middle school by 2:30 am...So my day started very early and I was pretty wiped out for most of the day.
So today has been a catch up day for me...little tasks that I needed to get done but I just needed a day to do it...Today was that day. I put away tools that I won't need for a while and there is a list of coop items that I have yet to finish.
The vent covers under the eves needed to be installed, so I got that done today.
I also got to wire my junction box so that soon I'll be able to turn the lights on in the coop. I want my girls to lay eggs this winter and part of the plan is to artifcially increase the length of their day with a light source.
I started by getting all my tools together.
Two pairs of pliers, some Romex cable, Wire connectors and such...
I needed to get all my cables into the junction box, but I could not bend he wire enough to get it in through the opening in the back of the box. My final solution was to drill a 5/8 inch hole and go in through the side:
One set of cables are for my heat lamp and therm0stat, the other set is for my lighting. At this point it is not critical to figure out which is which, so I separated the cables into pairs. Then I used my utility knife to strip back any insulation that I needed to get rid of so that I could make my connections for my wiring.
You want the blade of your utility knife to be sharp...like surgical sharp...I always start with a brand new blade. It can get very frustrating trying to work with wiring and cutting back insulation if your knife has a dull blade. It's also kind of challenging to hold the knife in one hand and take a photo with the other...
I use the pliers to crush the insulation and then you can grip and it pull off the insulation.
This will give you an exposed end of wire that you can then used to make your connections.
Once the cables in the junction box are paired up and they have been prepped by stripping back the insulation; I use two pliers twist the wires together to make the connection. One pliers is used to grip the pair of wires; while the other pliers is used to twist them together.