Coop Question Again

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SterlingAcres, May 7, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I posted a while back about considering building an indoor coop in the garage under my brother's apartment. Things have changed drastically since then and now I have a few other questions.

We're house hunting at the moment and hoping to get some land. I'd like 6-12 hens in the future (more if I can accommodate them lol). I'm not sure when exactly we'd be moving, but sometime this summer. I still want hens here, but I can't have more than 3.

So my questions are:

a) should I just wait, against my wishes, and start the whole flock together once we move?

b) if I do hatch 3 hens and keep them here, would it be okay to build a small hutch in my basement to keep them in at night and let them out inside a run during the day.

c) as mentioned before, I have the nature hater living next door, so the chickens would only be out while she was at work. There are windows in the basement that allow quite a bit of light in... if I placed the hutch near the windows, would that maybe un-effect their laying?

I'm thinking I should just wait, but I reallllllllllly want my chickens.... [​IMG]

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    if it was me i just wait till you move be alot easier and alot less stress

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Un yeah----

THe "grown up" thing to do would be to wait.

What I would do is build a tractor and get myself some chickens!!! [​IMG]

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We have our 3 1/2 week old pullets in the basement right now in a fairly large brooder. For the lighting, I'm using grow lights that have been put on a timer. We also have a window fairly close by but it still isn't as light as it would be if they were outdoors. However, I couldn't imagine having them there for any length of time. This is a stopgap for us until the coop gets built.

If I were about to move, I would wait. It would be far less stress on your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by