coop question...urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickie_momma, Sep 20, 2008.

1. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    We are building our coop tommorrow and I was browsing online for some last minute ideas...

I came across a wooden playhouse-that is reasonably cheap- BUT it is made of cedar,

I know cedar is toxic if used as bedding...so I am guessing that a coop made of cedar is definately out huh????

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I wouldnt advise using cedar at all where the chickens are.

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Someone said you could use cedar boards as skids, a little in the coop wouldn't be a big problems, but they peck at nearly everything so you would have to make sure they weren't where the birds could reach them, so I'd definitely steer away as well. Bummer.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A cedar playhouse would be ok for a coop if allowed to "air out" for a couple weeks before using it as a coop. You also could paint the inside and that would get rid of any cedar smell.

5. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i think you could get away with ceadr housing if you follow many precautions, ie. airing out, painting, etc...but i figure why risk it, stay away from cedar around chickens i say

6. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I seem to remember that being covered in this section before and it being OK as long as it wasn't being used for shavings. Use the "Search" function to double check though!

Orchidchick

7. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by