Coop question

addicted2chicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Michigan
I have a question on roosters. Didn't know where to put it so thought I would ask here. We are getting 4 different breeds of chicks and currently building our coop. Do you have to keep all the roosters seperate from each other? Do you keep your same breed roosters with your hens all the time? Is it some breed of roosters that are fine with others? I guess we are trying to figure how many walls to divide our coop into with each having its own run. The breeds we have coming are Isa browns, Rhode Island Reds, Barred rock and Buff Orpingtons.
Thanks in advance.

I guess that depends on your intentions. If you plan to breed, separate. If you just want eggs. Don't worry about it. Let them mingle.

Of course, if you just have chicks... It's gonna be a little while before any funny business will be going down!
big_smile.png

I agree AT FIRST you can keep them together, but once the hens get of age, they will fight for control of the flock and it could get ugly. It depends on how many hens you will have vs roos. I have 16 hens and 1 roo, and will not tax his performance with any more. If you have more than that, remember a 12 to 1 ratio - that is best I think. I just went overboard. BIG SHOCK!

For now we just want eggs but our plan is to breed for our own chickens down the road. So it won't be alot of breeding, but here and there when we want to add more to our flock. The only reason I ask now is because we are building our coop and want to make sure we take things into consideration for future housing needs. Plus I was reading on other threads of certain breeds of roosters fighting so I wanted to be sure we were ok.
Thanks

I've got a chick house. They all run together. I will, of course, be separating them for breeding purposes when they come of age. But, for now... It's romper room!

Back
Top Bottom