Coop Question

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a bunch of chicks and am now setting up what will become their coop in several weeks time. I have a shed on my property which is approximately 6 feet wide and 7 feet deep. I intend to convert it into a chicken coop with nesting boxes and what not next weekend. I would ideally like to free range my chickens, because I have a one acre backyard in an extremely rural area. Unfortunately, I do have one neighbor nearby and I don't want to risk upsetting them if the chickens wander through the 8 feet of woods separating our properties and hang out in their yard. I am imagining fencing in a large portion of my yard with 4 foot high wire fence, but I would prefer not to cover the top with anything. I purchased a variety of high production egg-laying breeds at Tractor Supply and now I am wondering whether or not a 4 foot high fence is likely to keep them in.

What do you think?

4ft only acts as a reminder as to where you want them. They're very able to go over it, especially if there is a top rail to perch on. We use 4ft wire fencing to keep them out of the garden. The yard has a 6ft fence and I worry that they will go over that and into a neighbors yard or the street. So far that hasn't happened but they won't be a yr old to June.

Have you talked to your neighbors about the chickens? I would think the chickens will want to stay near the coop if they are getting fed by you vs all their diet being from foraging. You could also run deer netting/fencing along that tree line to deter them from going over to the neighbors if your flock turns out to be an adventurous one and goes over the 4 ft fence.

Last edited:
I honestly haven't spoken to them about it, but they do have a dog, so it would probably be a catastrophy if my chickens went into their yard anyway. I'm just trying to figure out a way to give them the largest area I can.

So, I definitely need some advice if a 4 foot fence isn't going to be sufficient. I'm going to build a standard rectangular run attached to the shed. I currently have 10 chickens, but I would like to leave room for expansion without extra construction in the future. If I want to be able to have as many as 25 chickens, how big should the run be? 50'x50'?

I also have three ducks and would like to be able to expand to 5 or 6 in the future. I'm going to build a separate area for them, so I need to think about how big that needs to be as well.

So, I definitely need some advice if a 4 foot fence isn't going to be sufficient. I'm going to build a standard rectangular run attached to the shed. I currently have 10 chickens, but I would like to leave room for expansion without extra construction in the future. If I want to be able to have as many as 25 chickens, how big should the run be? 50'x50'?

I also have three ducks and would like to be able to expand to 5 or 6 in the future. I'm going to build a separate area for them, so I need to think about how big that needs to be as well.
A 50x 50 run is a nice big area and will be plenty big enough for 25 chickens. I would be sure to make the run predator proof with some type of netting or roof system. If you do plan to free range them on your 1 acre then I would for sure fence your yard with some type of woven wire fence. Mine free range within a 1 acre fenced area and pretty much stay inside. Only a couple incidents to flying up on the pipe gates and over but added wire mesh at those has keep them in.. The main reason for the fence is to deter dogs or coyotes from making a quick snatch. The coop and run would be my priority and then do the perimeter yard fencing if you have the funds and want to free range while you are around to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom