Coop questions- auto door, and predator deterrents

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Newbie here. I tried to search other threads for some answers before asking about this, but there's a lot of info to sort through! Short background, we moved to a new house that has an already existing coop and run, so now we are beginning our first chicken adventure! It's a good sized coop and run, and nothing really needs done to it immediately, which is great for getting started without blowing our budget. However, we know we will be interested in adjusting some things over time to make it "ours."

First things we are interested in include adding an automatic door, but we live in Wyoming. Do these doors work in freezing, bad weather? Any advice on one brand over another, with that in mind? Regular sub-freezing temps, often single digits or below zero at times.

Secondly, the run is open at the top. Husband suggested a few bars across which could serve dual purpose to hang treats from for the chickens, and also install things to confuse predators from the sky-- things that move in the wind, fake owls or ravens, stuff like that. Do such things work, or are we being silly and should just make plans to enclose the whole run? That will take a while, because like I said, it's a well-sized area.

We have a dog that is fenced off from the chickens but is near enough to hopefully deter some predators too, but I don't want to be naïve and think things won't be trying to eat our chickens. So any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I am in the mountains in Colorado. We have an Ador pop door. It runs on a lantern battery. My first battery came with the door. We had the door for about 11 months before last winter's (2021) really cold spell. The door started to struggle on days that temp was below zero. I immediately changed out the battery and it then worked fine on the remaining delow zero days. I figure almost a year from a single battery (that came with the door) was pretty good. This winter, we've still had below zero days and the replacement battery is still operating the door wonderfully.

How much snow do you get? Is there any covered run at all? We get too much snow to not have a covered run. We actually have two runs. The smaller one is covered and wrapped, to protect the chickens from the elements. The larger one connects to the smaller and is uncovered. As the snow melts from the larger one, the girls can venture out to it.

We actually don't get too much snow here. It snows frequently, but lightly, and doesn't always pile up very much. Kinda just blows away! The Wyoming wind is no joke 🤣

I can see your point about some sheltered/covered area of the run, though. Not for only snow, but wind and sun too. I'm sure we can provide something for that in part of the area, but not the whole run, as it's basically a section of the backyard. I'm not sure how we'd enclose it all. Might have to section off a smaller section or something, I guess.

Newbie here. I tried to search other threads for some answers before asking about this, but there's a lot of info to sort through! Short background, we moved to a new house that has an already existing coop and run, so now we are beginning our first chicken adventure! It's a good sized coop and run, and nothing really needs done to it immediately, which is great for getting started without blowing our budget. However, we know we will be interested in adjusting some things over time to make it "ours."

First things we are interested in include adding an automatic door, but we live in Wyoming. Do these doors work in freezing, bad weather? Any advice on one brand over another, with that in mind? Regular sub-freezing temps, often single digits or below zero at times.

Secondly, the run is open at the top. Husband suggested a few bars across which could serve dual purpose to hang treats from for the chickens, and also install things to confuse predators from the sky-- things that move in the wind, fake owls or ravens, stuff like that. Do such things work, or are we being silly and should just make plans to enclose the whole run? That will take a while, because like I said, it's a well-sized area.

We have a dog that is fenced off from the chickens but is near enough to hopefully deter some predators too, but I don't want to be naïve and think things won't be trying to eat our chickens. So any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I live in wyoming with chickens for the first time. Hardest thing is getting water to the chickens during winter. This last winter they stayed in the Garage which is heated. Building a larger coop and run and yes, you need something like netting over it. Chicken hawks get into our lean-to where the chickens are and catch doves roosting there all the time. We have a very brave coopers hawk that stares at me from the porch railing as it watches my chickens in their very small run. I never let them out into the yard. I know that hawk is going to get them. Hopefully your coop has hardware cloth on the lower parts of the sides and bottom. That is what you need to keep predators like mink, raccoons and others out of your chickens. There are ways to keep your automatic door opener to work like framing it so moisture and wind don't reach the door. I used light bulbs and heat lamps to keep my chickens warm after I moved them out of the garage. I also bought cold hardy pullets. Heritage Pullets in Montana is wonderful to do business with and they have cold hardy breeds like Rhode Island reds, Black Star, Blue egg layers and such. They are online and I would highly recommend them. I am going to pick up my pullets in July. We are going to insulate this new coop we are building and get some warmers for the water. I still have to carry it out there but its not too far. Sometimes I just have to cut steps into the drifts! We don't get that much snow here in Kaycee, normally it all blows away. Hope this helps.

I'm up in Powell. I used a heated waterer and I let them out everyday. My chickens free range but I do corral them into a fenced off area during the spring when we are putting our garden in. I ran two heat lamps in the coop this winter because it was just so dang cold, but generally if you can keep your coop from being drafty your chickens should be alright.

I am in KS and use the Omlet autodoor. Last winter when it got well below zero for a week, Omlet door had no issues whatsoever. I have had it in use for 18 months or so and have only had to change batteries once. agree on keeping it protected from rain so it won’t freeze shut, regardless of the brand you decide on!

Back
Top Bottom