Coop ready?

So the blue coop is for the most part of the day, covered with shade,
Between the shade from the lattice and the shade tarp we pinned up on the side of the run structure to stop the afternoon sun from hitting that area as bad, it is for the most part in shade!
The shade fabric we bought and hung says protects up to 90% of UV rays and reduces temps up to as much as 15 degrees, and I have sat in the run on some of the hottest days so far this year, and it does feel much better after adding those tarps.
I also have a mister over that area of the run hoping it would also help!
In your temperatures in the direct sun it's likely to be an absolute oven unless you've got way over the recommended ventilation minimums.

My outdoor brooder is a 4x8 structure with 16 square feet of permanent (24/7/365), ventilation and another 10 square feet of supplemental ventilation but I had to put a picnic fly up for shade to keep the inside temperatures under 100F on a sunny, 93F day.

View attachment 2762070
but it does get hit with the morning sun more so, so I could put another shade tarp on the other side wall like I did for the afternoon sun side to help with the heat as well

So the blue coop is for the most part of the day, covered with shade,
Between the shade from the lattice and the shade tarp we pinned up on the side of the run structure to stop the afternoon sun from hitting that area as bad, it is for the most part in shade!
The shade fabric we bought and hung says protects up to 90% of UV rays and reduces temps up to as much as 15 degrees, and I have sat in the run on some of the hottest days so far this year, and it does feel much better after adding those tarps.
I also have a mister over that area of the run hoping it would also help!

OK, that was hard to see in the photos. Some people paint their hardware cloth black so as to see through it better without so much glare -- I haven't decided yet it I'm going to go through all that trouble or not on my new Chicken Palace.

In that case, 1 square foot per chicken is probably good -- though it's impossible to have too much ventilation short of storm winds howling through. :D

OK, that was hard to see in the photos. Some people paint their hardware cloth black so as to see through it better without so much glare -- I haven't decided yet it I'm going to go through all that trouble or not on my new Chicken Palace.

In that case, 1 square foot per chicken is probably good -- though it's impossible to have too much ventilation short of storm winds howling through. :D
Oh wow I didn’t know that!! Haha

i have that shade cloth/tarp in two places but I may add it to the other side to protect from the morning sun!

I wish I would have known that before we put it all up!!
And here is where I’m thinking of putting the 3rd shade cloth.
EFFE75B4-2F49-4BF8-8570-B87A6139A628.jpeg

Here is where the first shade tarp is that we pinned up
E3EEEFEA-FAC0-4AFA-9A63-E7144385471D.jpeg

And this the second one that protects from the sun in late afternoon
And I was thinking of adding the 3rd on the fence across!
894C995E-FF95-4B67-BFCF-A7A1B98EC2F5.jpeg

so it would be this side that also has the shade cloth.

Back
Top Bottom