Coop Remodel

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
Check out updated pictures of my girls and our latest remodel of THE OMELET RANCH!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=41441

Thanks for looking!

41441_1coopd.jpg

41441_1coopa.jpg

Last edited:
Cheryl, your page is great fun! The birds are beautiful, and coop is fantastic! I love the pavers around the run. You're so much further along than me. I have that other darned construction project that keeps getting in the way.
roll.png

Thanks it really has made it nice out there, especially after the flood and having to shovel out pooped filled sand/mud out...ACK! Now if I can just come up with a way to keep the dirt and sand inside the coop and off the pavers....those messy girls, they don't play fair

Mud. Yes, I know it well. My girls were up to their ankles in mud yesterday. I rerouted the drainage from my gutters last fall, and now it floods the pen. Lake Orpington. I thought about adding sand, but worry about what it will do to my wood floors if (when!) it gets on my shoes. What are you using in the pen to keep it dry? (I'm sure covering it helps a lot, too.)

eta - it looks like tanbark in your chicken tv area, but is it shavings in the pen?

Last edited:
no more tan bark....yah! WE put the pavers all around now

shavings are only in the nest box/roost area, dirt in the run area below that area and in the big run is 6" worth of sand. Yes the cover REALLY helps, the drainage REALLY helps....we still get a bit moist because rain doesn't just fall straight down...but it's not mud and the sand absorbs all the water.

I have never in my life hoped for sun more than I do now....we are thinking about San Diego area in a few years, but till then the roof has got to do

Ha ha wood floors...we have wood floors through the whole house, and 2 labs that are constantly bringing it in. i vacuum and "mop" the floors almost daily....urgh I hate it

I think I will just have to add a tarp and make the drainage go just a little further. The sand will get into the house here. I don't mind sweeping and mopping, because carpet drives me crazy. I just don't want to sand blast the floors because I forget to take off my shoes. Yup, I'm the worst offender. DSO almost never wears his shoes in the house. If chickens didn't poop (
lau.gif
) I'd try tan bark in the pen. I guess that's kind of like giant shavings. Do you just rake the poop out of the sand, or does it compost and sink?

Last edited:
Quote:
You guys are doing fine!! The best teacher is experience and you are accumulating it daily. I have 1-2 weeks of baby chick experience and can't wait to get grown up chicken experience
big_smile.png

For people still learning, you have done FINE work, and as you stated earlier...the girls have not complained once!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom