Coop Roof Design Question

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
What is the best way to get airflow for the chicks without causing a draft or making it too cold? Soffits or vents? We have the frame up for a 6x8 walk in coop and not sure what to do about the roof.

I can't tell you which is best, but I'm going with vents. I have mine framed also, and I'm getting ready to start the roof.

I have absolutely no carpenter skills and this is my first project. I'm a bit nervous as to how it will turn out.

Good luck. Be sure to post what you decide on and add a few pictures.

Mark

just my opinion but with the area your in I would put gabel vents and block them in the winter.

I would use vents that could be closed up in winter and are higher up near the roof. You can leave one or two small ones open in the winter for fresh air and add a heat lamp.

In the various houses/coops i have built, I use a standard design of 6 feet wide, with a slant roof, with 6 inches difference between the frony and back wall.

I leave that little wedge open at the top for good ventilation but not direct draft on th ebirds. In the winter if its too harsh, I staple woven poly feed bags over the openings.

Workd like a champ! Inexpensive, and flexible.

Professor Yellow...when you say "the little wedge at the front"...I'm not sure what you mean, could you explain what that is? Do you mean where the highest side of the roof meets the tallest wall, you do not seal? How big would the opening be?

Quote:
OK sounds like vents are the way to go. We have extra soffit left over from our shed but sounds like it will be too drafty for the birds. We will post pictures soon and good luck with yours as well.

Back
Top Bottom