Coop roof material & color for cold climates

aliknits

Hatching
Mar 27, 2017
Hi all! I'm a new chicken person in Minnesota, and planning out my very first coop.

I'm sort of leaning towards metal roofing (I'm not wild about asphalt shingles), but curious about other generally non-toxic roofing materials, if anyone has suggestions. I'm planning to connect a gutter & rain barrel to catch runoff and would like to use the water in my vegetable garden.

Also...what color roofing? It will go over the run and coop. Thinking a white or a light color, which should help with nasty 100+ degree heat in the summer, but not sure if that would be a problem in winter, when it can get to -30 on occasion.

Anyone have any experience/advice with this?

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Hi all! I'm a new chicken person in Minnesota, and planning out my very first coop.

I'm sort of leaning towards metal roofing (I'm not wild about asphalt shingles), but curious about other generally non-toxic roofing materials, if anyone has suggestions. I'm planning to connect a gutter & rain barrel to catch runoff and would like to use the water in my vegetable garden.

Also...what color roofing? It will go over the run and coop. Thinking a white or a light color, which should help with nasty 100+ degree heat in the summer, but not sure if that would be a problem in winter, when it can get to -30 on occasion.

Anyone have any experience/advice with this?

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

our pole barn with a green roof and brown walls gets hot and holds that heat. Our coop with green shingles and brown walls stays 10 degrees cooler than our pole barn. But in the winter it hold heat better than the pole barn. Neither is insulated.
white reflects heat the best as a roof color but imo is ugly.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom