Coop roost bar problem

Hi everyone,

We have 2x4's as our roost bars for our 6 pullets in their coop. I'm concerned about the square edges for their feet and I've read that chickens prefer rounded bars and that its more comfortable and natural for their feet. Our issue is, the roost bars cannot be removed because they are part of the infrastructure of the coop. Any ideas on how to round them out or make them more comfortable without removing them? Here is a picture for reference. Taken prior to being cleaned so just ignore the poop.

Attachments

• 20200528_151856.jpg
    20200528_151856.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 60
I used roughly 3” diameter trees for The roost poles in my coop. I think they’re happy on any perch though. In the natural world most perches will be rounded. If you insist on a round roost bar then you can just get some type of pole and place it right along the top of the flat 2x4 edge. Attach it securely and you’re good to go!

It would be great if you could turn the board a quarter turn so that the widest part was up. Lots of people use 2 x 4s like that for roosts. I use a mix of natural and 2x4 roosts so they have a choice.

The ramp has a black "rubbery" material on it, what is that? It kinda looks slippery and at a sharp angle. But that shouldn't matter really because if they really wanted to use the roost they would fly up to it, if there is room for them to flap their wings. It could just be that they don't like the location of it. Chicks are weird about roosts. The best thing to do is to offer multiple types and locations and let them pick what they like.

I live in Maine where it gets very cold in the winter. I read up about roosts in the beginning and like you I was worried about making sure they were comfortable. I have some natural logs and some 2x4 boards laid the long way in my coop for roosts. Chickens are smart. They know where to go to be comfortable and keep their toes warm. Give them options and they will figure out what’s best. I have one chicken who prefers to roost on top of the nesting box. My chickens are 5 years old and going strong, still laying! Your chickens will adapt if you give them options. Best of luck!

Why can't you just cut it off and drill a tree branch in its place? It's not an integral part of the coop. If there are screws in the way, you can cut it off a few inches from the walls, and use the remaining pieces to attach the branch to. Or you can use a power sander to round off the edges.

Back
Top Bottom