Coop Roosts...............

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
Hi all.........
My name is Kris, and I'm brand new to this forum.
I am currently in the process of setting up my coop, and wonder if someone could give me some roost recommendations?
I have a 6 foot wide area, (the back wall of the coop) against which I plan on having roosting space for 12 'large' (vs Bantam) hens............
Can anyone tell me which would 'the girls' prefer for foot-comfort?
2" x 4" lumber (with edges rounded), or......2" x 2" furring strips, or.........2'" round wooden dowels. (Or any other suggestions?)
Also.........does anyone have a preference as to 'horizontal" roosts or "45 degree-angled ladder" roosts?
And, say I want to build a horizontal roost, with 2" wooden dowels...........which I could lift up and attach against the back wall, to
facilitate floor cleaning/litter fluffing, etc..............how far apart should the dowels be spaced for large hens? (i.e. roost will be 6' wide, but how 'deep'?)
I do plan on placing brackets under the roost to hold a droppings board as well..................
How high off the floor should a horizontal roost be placed? and would a chicken-ladder ramp up to the roost be required or preferred?

Thanks so much for any advice,
Kris Pedersen
Hardwick, NJ

welcome-byc.gif

You'll need 10 inch min of roost space per hen. A 2x4 with the wide side up works best for a roost. The wide side up so they sit on their feet during the cold winter months. I prefer a ladder type roost, so they can "step" up and off. Heavier breeds tend to fly off high roosts and land like a ton of bricks. My steps are at 18 and 36 inches. They use the 18 inch step to access the higher roost.

So they don't actually need to wrap their feet 'around' the roosting material, and 'lock their tendons' to hang on all night?
They would prefer to just 'stand on' the wide edge of a 2 x 4?
Is this correct?
(I want to do what's the best for them...........)
Thanks again, Kris

If they wrap their feet around the roost their feet don't stay as warm in the winter and can get frost bite easier. Mine roost with their feet spread out and not wrapped around the roost and none have fallen off that I've noticed.

They are just chickens. They will roost with whatever they have to work with. I just stuck a branch in my coop, its probably 1.5-2" in diameter depending on where you are on it. Its round, comfortable, and their feathers cover their feet...most importantly, its free.

If your chicks are young, and you have a large enough coop, put in a 2x4 and a branch. See which one they prefer. In all of my experience, they prefer the branch, thats just me and thats what i use. I have yet to see anything that states one is 'better' than the other. Because of that, id use whatever i had available....let the cost be the driving force, again, its just a chicken.

Last edited:
hi..we used 2x4's wide side up...our coop is 8x8....here is a pic to get an idea..good luck!..
smile.png

10638_2008_08150044.jpg

The absolute best size, IMO, is 3" wide (actually a 2x4, well-rounded). Very heavy pallets will have those that you can dismantle and pull nails from. My big roost has those on the top four rungs. Their feet are gently curved around those and I have some large ladies. The bottom rungs are flat 2x4s. Here is the roost while under construction. Chickens do not actually hang on with their back toe, like wild birds do.
DCP_5743.jpg

DCP_5749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom