coop/run can't keep up with the stink!!!!

I use deep litter with pine shavings. Haven't changed them since April or so (although have added more), and still no smell. My run is just dirt, but they are free ranging now so it's not smelly either. I use Sweet PDZ and DE in the shavings and stir them up. And just in case you don't trust my nose, my husband agrees and he's only home on weekends so his nose still works properly.
tongue.png

October or so I'll do a full cleanout and start over with new shavings for the winter. Since the poo freezes in the winter, there's no smell there either.
tongue.png

Well thank you for all your replies....again as I stated before....Shavings are hard to get UP here, in fact I would have to have them delivered from Toronto which is 12 hours away by truck, or buy small bags at walmart for 11 bucks and I would needs a lot of bags cause hey are not big and that is super costly....would I be happier using shavings, absolutely.

Not raising meat birds they are layers. they are perfectly healthy. this whole week has been a hot dry one and we changed things over last sunday and used the DE and straw. the smell is gone, I am quite sure it was just all the wetness and humidity we had been having.

My reasoning not to use LIME...is that when I come in contact with it I get cracked skin and it bleeds, so I guess it would be an allergy, that is why I don't want to use lime!!

Darkmatter, thanks....I am going to go look at your page right now, been at work since I posted this,...well not this whole time, but just didn't have a chance to get back on here :)

thanks again everyone....

Ema

My reasoning not to use LIME...is that when I come in contact with it I get cracked skin and it bleeds, so I guess it would be an allergy, that is why I don't want to use lime!!

It does that to everyone.
The warnings are on the bag.

You shouldn't be coming into contact with it if you're not digging in the litter with your hands.
Spread it with a scoop or shovel and wear gloves while doing it​

Quote:
It does that to everyone.
The warnings are on the bag.

You shouldn't be coming into contact with it if you're not digging in the litter with your hands.
Spread it with a scoop or shovel and wear gloves while doing it

I have a dumb question about that. If I put lime in the run or litter and it sticks to my boots, it could spread to the grass. We have a dog with a disease that affects her feet and she licks them a lot. Would that hurt her? She is constantly running around the chicken run so she would definitely step in the same areas where I step with my boots on.

Back
Top Bottom