coop-run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbusher, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dbusher

dbusher Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    We are looking to build a coop (4'x4') and a run (12'x4') for 2 hens. Can they live exclusively in the coop and run or do we need to let them out to free range? We do plan on letting the run around the yard on the weekends but no plans to let them out during the week. Is this OK?

thx

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They can live exclusively in the coop/run but they would be really happy to get out to free range whenever possible.

3. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Should be fine, BUT, chickens will clear a plot of grass quicker than you think. You should be ready to supplement with some "greens" or vegetable scraps as treats. My run is 20x80 with 14 BRs, they have stripped it bare in less than 6 months. Hopefully spring will bring some new grasses, but I have my doubts.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

Yes, this is enough room for TWO hens. However, chickens are kinda like chips. It is hard to stop at two!!! LOL:lau If you have the room, you might want to make it a little larger to start with!!

They will be OK in the coop/run, especially if you give them things to keep them busy -- like a roost in the run, throw in bugs, worms, weeds, grass, etc.

Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by