Coop size and crowding

jakell2010

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
High I have a 4X6 coop, with a 4x8x4h run with 10 birds 8 nesting boxes ,,,,, can I take more or am I set , .

They free range whenever possible, we hav very few predators, we have thousands of rabbits up here.

Appreciate your help, also most of the birds are young 12-20weeks, a few are mature,,well behaved, no squabling

24sf for 10 birds is a little on the small side. If they are happy and it works, go for it. I wouldn't add anymore to the mix though.

BYCers usually like to use the 4sf per bird rule. I have seen other sources quote 3sf or even 2sf per chicken. Just use your best judgement. If the birds start pecking each other, you will know it is too small.

Going to be tough in the winter. I have my 8 in a 8x6 metal shed,and they pecked a lot during the winter.

I would stick with what you have for now, see how winter goes. If there is "social pressure" and pecking starts, put perches at different levels, and feed and water at different levels, and places for the bottom tier birds to hide from others, even just a board leaned against the side of the coop, supported by a cinderblock, or toe nailed to the floor so it can't fall and hurt them if a sqabble breaks out.

you might have to put vasoline jelly or grease on their sides so they wont chaffe. Tight squeeze in there.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom