Coop size enough for 8 chickens?

Mark94

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Montenegro
Hello everyone!

Pardon my bad knowledge of ft.measurements, I'm from Eastern Europe and I can't seem to find measurements for chicken coop, size per chicken, in cm. I have 8 chickens of regular size, my coop is 130cm in length and 110cm in width, the height is 110cm, the coop is well secured from bad weather, we rarely have snow here, it's either rainy or sunny in winter, the run is 7.50meters in length and 3.50meters in width. I'm not sure if the coop size is enough for the number of chickens I own. Anyone familiar with cm to enlighten me whether this is too small or enough for them?
I would really appreciate it

Hi there. Your coop is too small for that number if birds. It is suitable for 3 birds. You would need a coop that is approximately 130 cm by 260 cm. Best of luck!
Thank you for your reply! Just as I expected... Guess I will have to wait for sunny days to make it bigger. Are there any risks for my chickens from sleeping in such small coop?

Thank you for your reply! Just as I expected... Guess I will have to wait for sunny days to make it bigger. Are there any risks for my chickens from sleeping in such small coop?
Unfortunately yes. With a crowded space birds can pull feathers, attack eachother, and ammonia build up can cause respiratory issues. How old are your birds?

I used an online tool to convert your coop and run measurements to feet. While your coop is too small, your run is a good size for 8 chickens🙂 ( almost 24.5 feet x 11.5 feet) If your run is attached and completely predator proof, you can leave the coop door open so they have access to both and that will help until you can expand your coop. Make sure your have enough roost space in the coop (8 ft or about 245 cm) and keep the coop super clean.

Are there any risks for my chickens from sleeping in such small coop?

Sleeping: if they have enough space on the roost, the only risk will be from ammonia (comes from the manure, smells bad).

The problem is before they sleep at night, and after they wake up in the morning, and on rainy days and snowy days. Any time they have to stay in that small space while they are awake, they will probably peck each other and fight. Once they start pecking and fighting, it tends to get worse as time goes on.

If they are always able to go out into the run, and if the run has a roof to keep off rain and snow, then they will probably do fine until you can make the coop bigger.

I used an online tool to convert your coop and run measurements to feet. While your coop is too small, your run is a good size for 8 chickens🙂 ( almost 24.5 feet x 11.5 feet) If your run is attached and completely predator proof, you can leave the coop door open so they have access to both and that will help until you can expand your coop. Make sure your have enough roost space in the coop (8 ft or about 245 cm) and keep the coop super clean.
Ty! Yes, the run is completely predator proof and the coop door is always open, they have access to the run 24/7. I keep the coop clean, so far no odor and it's always dry.

Back
Top Bottom