1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Size for Bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AccentOnHakes, Jan 6, 2010.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I have heard that some breeds are flightier than others and need more space, even if they are smaller. How much space would I need about for 1 of each of there bantams?

EE
    Silkie
    Cochin
    Leghorn
    Brahma
    d'Uccle
    BR

I might choose a Wyandotte instead of the Leghorn.

2. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i will say go as large as you can, in future its possible you will want a few more than the ones mentioned (just seems to be the way the chicken bug bites!) i think a coop 5X5+ would be sufficient for 7 bantams (if a decent height with several perches of varying heights), i only have experiance with the cochin, brahma and d'uccles of the birds listed and none of them needs a particularly large coop space, mine are happy in small groups with small coops, i think ee and silkies are similar in care, i have heard leghorns are a bit spazzy.

what do you have for a run? or will they free range?

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I have a small backyard, so I guess it's a combo to run and free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by