coop size help

these are cages that the hens will be living in, not just laying there eggs. Is that still to big of a size?

If living in cages, then no it's not too big. I thought you were talking about nest boxes in a normal smallholder system. The more space the better.
Caged systems are unnatural so you have much different considerations.
Caged birds have advantages and disadvantages. They usually don't contract things like coccidiosis since they're on wire. If there's more than one bird in a cage, you'll probably have to debeak them. They can't do their normal behavior like dust bathing or finding a dark quiet place to lay eggs. Laying eggs in light where everyone is watching is unnatural.

You may be better off finding information related to commercial systems than backyard flocks.

California has a new rule for space for egg layers. I suggest you use those dimensions and requirements. While it's still unnatural and too small, it's better than how they have been raised.

If living in cages, then no it's not too big. I thought you were talking about nest boxes in a normal smallholder system. The more space the better.
Caged systems are unnatural so you have much different considerations.
Caged birds have advantages and disadvantages. They usually don't contract things like coccidiosis since they're on wire. If there's more than one bird in a cage, you'll probably have to debeak them. They can't do their normal behavior like dust bathing or finding a dark quiet place to lay eggs. Laying eggs in light where everyone is watching is unnatural.

You may be better off finding information related to commercial systems than backyard flocks.

California has a new rule for space for egg layers. I suggest you use those dimensions and requirements. While it's still unnatural and too small, it's better than how they have been raised.
would it be better to use a different substance for the floor such as plywood? If I were to use plywood floors I would have to clean them out. I am going to make sure they have plenty of room in each cage.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm so glad that all you can help me. I am using the push in style nipples with grommets. Can I mount these into vinyl tubing or does it have to be pvc?

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom