Coop size question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flippacase, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Is this coop and run an okay size for 3-4 hens. I currently have 2 but i am considering getting 1 or 2 more.

The coop is 3'x4' and the run is 5'x4'. According to this website, for three hens, 3'x4' would be fine, but the run would have to be larger. Would the 20 square foot run be okay for 3 hens?

Here is the coop so far, it not quite finished, because i still need nest boxes.

[​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It does look a tad small, but that is an easy fix with your set-up just extend it a few feet lengthwise, and you shouls be ok. Till you git more chickens LOL.

AL

3. dickies chics

dickies chics Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    looks small to me. Remember chickens are addictve, build it a little bigger you'll fill it up.

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    The run should be minimun of 10 sq ft per bird. More is better in this case.

5. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Are you able to let them free range? If so then the space could be fine as long as there are roosts and nest boxes. The bigger the better though. If not, then I'd definitely give them more of a pen. They really enjoy some branches, big rocks etc to play on. Where is your feed/water?

Also just from my experience, it's always better to get 2 together instead of just one as the introduction of a single girl is very difficult and she will always be out numbered. Possibly even pecked so much she won't eat/drink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by