1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Size - Silkies in 2nd coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by france, Sep 30, 2009.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have our converted shed as a coop but to make along story short I am looking into buying a tiny coop for our silkies. That way I can divide up the roos and keep the silkie girls in a run all the time. Then the rest of the flock can have their own run but free range too. I found one locally for $375. It looks cute in the photos, I just have to go see it. The dimensions are just under 4' x 5'. So just under 20 sq feet measured on the outside. I would use it for 1 silkie roo & 2 silkie females (my sons pets). But then I have 2 white crested females who should not free range. That makes 5 bantams. Too small correct?

This reminds me of the old horse joke. Buy a horse, buy another horse so he is not alone, buy a trailer, buy truck to pull trailer, buy 3rd horse so second is not alone when 1st goes to a show, buy another horse to keep show horse company, buy bigger trailer, buy bigger truck.........Now it's buy some chickens, build a coop............

2. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Any thoughts?

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    2 sq feet per bird is OK.You have 20 for 5 birds

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have several 4x4 coops and 5-6 Silkie or Sizzles fit nicely. I do have a pretty large run for them to go along with it. The price sure sound right

5. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    where is this coop located?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by