1. levalleygirl88

levalleygirl88 In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2018
    Does this coop look like it'll be big enough for six hens??

Attached Files:

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't buy it. It is likely overpriced for what it is. It may hold 3 on each side but they will be crowded. It looks like it has 6 nest boxes and 6 hens only need 2 and will likely only use one.
    It also doesn't have sufficient ventilation. Chickens have tiny respiratory systems unlike ours. Tiny lungs, air sacs and use space in the hollow bones to accommodate breathing. They need a constant supply of fresh air.
    The more space they have, the easier they are to keep clean and the less likely they are to fight.
    Manufacturers grossly over exaggerate how many birds their building will hold.
    They waste money on unneeded nest boxes that could be put into larger buildings.
    People that design these things clearly know nothing about chickens.

aart, Nardo and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    agree completely with @ChickenCanoe those pre-packaged prefabbed ones are so over priced and always are labeled for about 3x more chickens than they can actually hold. Your best bet is to build one yourself, or repurpose a shed and build one in it.

4. R3bauer

R3bauer Songster

Nov 9, 2013
    Dubuque, Iowa
    I looked into many prefab coops and found a few free DIY plans online. I took the material list to my kocal home store and found irmt was less expensive to build my own.

I dont know you capabilities but it is a simple project.

5. Arla

Arla Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    New England
    Like others have said, it is a nice coup maybe 6 bathams could fit, but standard chickens would be cramped.

6. levalleygirl88

Mar 5, 2018
    Do you remember where you found those DIY plans? I'm all for simple as my husband and I aren't builder savvy and I'd honestly probably put it together myself as my husband doesn't have time and isn't into the whole chicken thing.

7. levalleygirl88

Mar 5, 2018
    Did you build your own coop? What did you end up spending on material if you don't mind me asking?

8. Nardo

Nardo Crowing

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    Dig around here for medium coop plans and you'll find so many it'll be hard to weed through them all.

9. Clemmy

Clemmy Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    might be good, my girls don't have mush room in their coop in general, but we are planning on adding onto the coop in the spring.

10. Theladiesandagentleman

Theladiesandagentleman First world chickens

Feb 23, 2018
    Roseville CA
    We looked at so many of those prefab coops and all were very substandard materials that will not hold up well outside. We decided to build, using the best designs on BYC and other DIY ideas. We are basically getting the Amish quality coop that would have cost us $1,500 for only $500. It's a labor of love for us, and will give us piece of mind for the health and security of our ladies. We start construction next week and will be creating a coop page to share our finished product. Good luck making your selection!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: