Coop size

MelankaT

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Kalkaska, MI
8258118C-201B-4679-9276-687498B3C7A4.jpeg
We recently got chicks and are hoping to move them to the coop in a couple of weeks. We’re thinking of building a hoop run, but I’m a little worried that the coop will be too small. We have 8 hens and 1 rooster. They all smaller breeds, but I’m still worried about it. Especially in the winter. We live in northern Michigan and get a lot of snow. Does anyone have any good suggestions about this? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• E289874B-B05A-4380-9AB8-DB877074E811.jpeg
    E289874B-B05A-4380-9AB8-DB877074E811.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 2
  • FD92CE1C-6AD6-40EE-AA56-CD76D77D4902.jpeg
    FD92CE1C-6AD6-40EE-AA56-CD76D77D4902.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 0C7DD248-AEF5-42CD-8B58-E0C025C4F786.jpeg
    0C7DD248-AEF5-42CD-8B58-E0C025C4F786.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 2
No way is that big enough for 9 chickens. What are the dimensions? Looks like that is good for 3 birds maybe.

*edit to add: rule of thumb is 4 square feet minimum for each bird. 2 square feet minimum if they are bantam. You will want more than that if they will be spending time inside due to extreme winter weather.

I’m a little worried that the coop will be too small. We have 8 hens and 1 rooster. They all smaller breeds, but I’m still worried about it. Especially in the winter. We live in northern Michigan and get a lot of snow.

You are right to be worried.

A common recommendation is 4 square feet of space per chicken inside the coop, with more than that if they will need to spend all winter inside.

For 9 chickens, that would mean at least 36 square feet of weather-protected space, plus enough extra space for the feeder & waterer. So maybe 6x8 feet or so (which makes 48 square feet total.)

Many people have good results with purchased sheds: just add ventilation, roosts, nestboxes, and hardware cloth over all openings.

Common advice also calls for 10 square feet of space per chicken in the run. If you are planning for long cold winters, you could consider making the coop itself with 10 square feet per chicken.

You need enough space for the chickens to roost together on one or two perches set at the same height. However, I find my chickens all want to roost on the same perch even though there are two perches. If they can all perch together, being that there are only 9 small chickens, then the coop is big enough. I am in the thumb and our chickens always slept in the coop ( size of a two seater outhouse), laid in one of the overhanging next boxes, and foraged during the day. They preferred to be outside in the daytime, even in snowy weather. As long as you have winter hardy chickens they will be alright. When you get a real deep snow shovel an area for them. Feed them outside and count them.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your location into your profile people will always be able to see it and give you better-targeted advice.

That's a beautifully-well-ventilated coop -- a feature too often overlooked and just as critical in the winter as in the summer -- but it appears to be tiny.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

8 hens
  • 32 square feet in the coop. 4'x8' is approaching the limits for a non-walk-in coop even with the access door in the middle. 6'x6' should be walk-in because even the tallest chicken-keeper won't be able to reach the far wall.
  • 8 feet of roost
  • 80 square feet in the run. 8'x10' is a nice looking number but, remembering the common dimensions of lumber, a roomier 8'x12' is actually easier to build. 6'x14' looks good on paper but would require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 8 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2-3 nest boxes.
Here's a useful article on cold-climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

8 hens
  • 32 square feet in the coop. 4'x8' is approaching the limits for a non-walk-in coop even with the access door in the middle. 6'x6' should be walk-in because even the tallest chicken-keeper won't be able to reach the far wall.
  • 8 feet of roost
  • 80 square feet in the run. 8'x10' is a nice looking number but, remembering the common dimensions of lumber, a roomier 8'x12' is actually easier to build. 6'x14' looks good on paper but would require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 8 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2-3 nest boxes.

I think you missed the rooster.

He doesn't need a nestbox, but does need floor space, roost, run, and ventilation.
Some of those numbers have enough extra to work anyway, but some need a little modification.

I think you missed the rooster.

He doesn't need a nestbox, but does need floor space, roost, run, and ventilation.
Some of those numbers have enough extra to work anyway, but some need a little modification.

Oops, you're right.

I did miss him. Bump everything up by one increment except nests. :)

Back
Top Bottom