Coop size

Well I wa
Can you give more details on plan for the 8x8 raised coop?

Will it be walk in?
Will birds have access underneath?

I highly recommend making it a walk in coop. Tending an 8x8 that the keeper cannot walk in is extraordinarily difficult.
I also recommend that birds not have access under that size of structure for several reasons. If a bird gets sick and hunkers down under it would mean crawling under to retrieve them. It would likely be where a stubborn broody would decide to go....again crawling under for the keeper. Chicks not used to going in at night would be a nightmare to get under that size structure.
Then there is cleaning, gathering eggs...oh yeah...they will make nests in the most inconvenient places.

I am a firm believer that the chicken keeper needs to be able to reach every corner of both the coop and the run.
I was going to make a large opening on each side for cleaning. However I didn't think about them going under and staying there. That sucks! Thanks for pointing that out.

Well I wa

I was going to make a large opening on each side for cleaning. However I didn't think about them going under and staying there. That sucks! Thanks for pointing that out.

They definitely do throw a kink in our designs lol.
I built a bump out brooder onto my coop this last spring. While small those naughty chicks gave me quite a hassle going under there instead of going in. I only had to reach 3' to grab them but in a stooped position it was quite a challenge.... Especially since they ran from end to end and out from under. It's even 33" from the bottom to the ground and still a challenge.

I am thinking if you cannot go into the coop easily to get a sick, injured or just naughty bird it will make chicken keeping frustrating.
Add to that that gathering eggs, coop cleaning or filling feed and water while out in the hot sun, blowing wind, freezing rain etc will be unpleasant at best. Thinking also those naughty birds liking to pop out the clean out door at every opportunity would lead to chases all over the yard. Hilarious to observers but not a fun time.

How tall are you planning on making the interior of the coop?

They definitely do throw a kink in our designs lol.
I built a bump out brooder onto my coop this last spring. While small those naughty chicks gave me quite a hassle going under there instead of going in. I only had to reach 3' to grab them but in a stooped position it was quite a challenge.... Especially since they ran from end to end and out from under. It's even 33" from the bottom to the ground and still a challenge.

I am thinking if you cannot go into the coop easily to get a sick, injured or just naughty bird it will make chicken keeping frustrating.
Add to that that gathering eggs, coop cleaning or filling feed and water while out in the hot sun, blowing wind, freezing rain etc will be unpleasant at best. Thinking also those naughty birds liking to pop out the clean out door at every opportunity would lead to chases all over the yard. Hilarious to observers but not a fun time.

How tall are you planning on making the interior of the coop?
About 4 ft with a 1 ft vent all the way around with an optional cover. But now my plans literally went up in smoke 🤣 but this is why I am here. I was doing a raised one for the extra square footage for the run. Just incase I want to become a crazy chicken lady I can!!!

There is no such thing as "going overboard" when building a coop and/or run for chickens. The average square foot per chicken is around 4', but if you live where they may be locked in there for weeks due to subzero temps or blizzards, suddenly that becomes not enough room and they'll start picking on each other.

Here is an excellent article about coop size: https://www.almanac.com/raising-chickens-101-how-build-chicken-coop

Not sure what kind of cat, but generally, cats don't bother full-grown chickens. Little nuggets running around is another story.
Love your coop especially the flooring!

About 4 ft with a 1 ft vent all the way around with an optional cover. But now my plans literally went up in smoke 🤣 but this is why I am here. I was doing a raised one for the extra square footage for the run. Just incase I want to become a crazy chicken lady I can!!!

That is a difficult height to have adequate venting and no drafts onto roosts that are at a proper height.

Sorry about the smoke but better from burning graph paper than from wood and $$$$.

Love your coop especially the flooring!

Absolutely! Mistakes on paper are CHEAP, and teach you something. Mistakes in wood and other building materials are expensive, and teach you more things, some of which you don't want to pay to learn.
Yes I agree...I just have to come up with a new coop plan and I worked on that one for months lol ready to get my chickens but no where near ready at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom