1. stowellka

stowellka Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    o.k. help me out .
    i see alot of big coops on here,but how much time do the chicks stay in there home?
    aren't they out in the run most of the day?
    example i'm raising three small chicks so there sleeping qtrs are 2'x4', one long roost , and there intregated run is 4'x8' am i wrong thinking they will be outside most the time?
    any thoughts on this?
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In the summer, my chickens spend most of the time in the coop because it's cooler than outside... but of course I'm in Phoenix.
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    not sure what the weather is like where you are but here it is cold so they spend most of the time in the coop in the winter make it bigger then you think you will need you will end up with more chickens anyway might as well plan and build big
  4. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Bigger is better! I thought mine would be just right... I was wrong. I have to add on at least another 3 feet now, or at least before Winter. My girls stay in the coop when it's rainy and snowy (or they will when their first winter comes around!)
  5. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    My flock stay in the coop most of the time unless I open the door to the run were they free range and then they stay out all day untill dark.
  6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is socal southern california??? If so, then you'll most likely be able to get by with a smaller coop because yours actually WILL spend most of their time outdoors if the run has a shaded area. But for those of us who get winters, our chickens spend a LOT of time "cooped up" in the coop for many weeks. And it's not a pretty situation if they're crowded. Your run is okay...just over 10 sq. ft. per bird. As I mentioned, your housing size would be better suited for two birds unless you're in a year-round warm weather area...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by