Coop size

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in and asking you a question about your comment.

For a regular coop, not a tractor what size per chicken would you recommend?

Would overall a larger coop be better for flexibility in weather? I live in Florida. I plan to have two runs on each side of the coop to change them out or if I need to have some separated for any reason. They will share the coop. In good weather, they can come and go, but in bad weather cold or hurricanes, they will be housed in the building. so would a larger coop be better just to give them freedom on days they need to stay in it? Thanks
Everything ridgerunner said..

And in Florida, I would suggest huge eves, at least some roof over the runs to block sun/provide shade and the coop probably needs at minimum one full wire wall.

You can even make the coop more than half wire, wire at perch level so birds roost in a breeze. You can store shutters/plywood to close it up for hurricanes.

With huge eves most rain is kept away from the coop interior even if the top half of walls are wire.

Everything ridgerunner said..

And in Florida, I would suggest huge eves, at least some roof over the runs to block sun/provide shade and the coop probably needs at minimum one full wire wall.

You can even make the coop more than half wire, wire at perch level so birds roost in a breeze. You can store shutters/plywood to close it up for hurricanes.

With huge eves most rain is kept away from the coop interior even if the top half of the walls are wire.
Thanks. I am thinking a hybrid coop may be the way to go. An enclosed building with good ventilation and an area just outside the building covered for shade. This would give the birds a choice and I can close up during a storm. I wanted to make a floor to ceiling closet in the coop for supplies. And place a run on each side so I can separate birds if needed or switch the side they can access. I am also thinking of leaving an oak tree in the run for shade. We plan to cover the runs with wire to keep out hawks.

Back
Top Bottom