Coop+Small+Temporary+Secure+Thrifty=HELP!

DelcoChix

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Central Ohio
I know...sounds a bit contradictory but here's the basics...heading out of town in three days, working feverishly on our version of a new and improved "Cluckingham Palace" along with a Fort Knox type run for our 12 hens, not going to have it completely done and divided in time(thanks Ohio weather)...BUT, I have three lovely BCM chicks that are very ready to leave their brooder and yet not big enough to join the older ladies. We just bought a decent 12x7 (6' high) chain link kennel and here's what I'm searching for....any ideas on what I could put together to secure the Marans at night, within the kennel? Can't leave them in the kennel all night thanks to the locals ('coons, 'possums, skunks, coyotes, foxes...just like most everyone else...but no bears), but I was hoping it would be a good idea to come up with something about 3'x4', up on cinder blocks, that they could roost in for the night, enclosed, then opened up in the morning so they could be in the kennel/run. What do you think? Pros and cons welcome.
In Ohio right now, if we're lucky it's in the mid 80's and pretty high humidity but they'll be in a shaded area right next the the older girls and I'll partially tarp the open top of the kennel. Since we have good friends taking care of our zoo (dogs-cats- horses, and lots of chickens of various ages) who are novice farmers I really want to make things as simple (and safe) as possible. Any of you wonderfully creative and thrifty folks have any suggestions for a quick yet secure coop for my young'uns? I really hate to leave them for another 10 days in their brooder in the barn, but even more so, will not risk their safety in the great outdoors...HELP! Thanks for thinking and sharing!
Dawn
PS: I've thought about pallets and we have a bit of scrap wood (OSB, plywood, and both 2x4's and 2x6's), it's just the time, or lack thereof, and security I'm concerned with, plus budget.

Yes...the kennel is open at the top (for now) so there's the possibility of a nocturnal climber. So far (starting year two..) the pest/predator issues have taken place after dark but I have had all the older girls secure in their coop so no problems, and (knock on wood) no daytime problems otherwise. I know there's no such thing as 100%, just weighing pros and cons of keeping the new chicks (11 weeks) in a safer but not very "nice" small space for 10 days vs. larger, more spacious environment where they are more at risk, but had a secure roosting spot for night. I'll have a tarp over the kennel but that's not much for protection from predators...just sun/rain...

Back
Top Bottom