Coop story, Lesson learned.. Start BIG!! Chicken math coop design help

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Currently I have 18 chickens.. All Silkies.

I need ideas for enclosing my coops within a larger coop preparing for Winter (it's Summer here in Australia now). Temps here can be freezing, frost and possible snow. Can be -2 degrees celsius and sometimes not above 10 degrees during the day. Summer can be up to 30 some days, although mostly in the 20s. (although today only 16!)

I have gone from 1 small coop to 2 small coops to 3 coops to now 1 coop plus 2 coops within a large sheltered sort of coop - that I need to covert to 1 large coop/ shelter.

Ok, pics.. Coop on right is the First coop I started with, left is 2nd coop built a few weeks later when we bought more chickens... The enclosed wire fence run area was already at the house..
IMG_20190221_162509966.jpg

Next, bought a greenhouse and enclosed the larger of the 2 coops for Winter. A few chickens died so 1 coop was big enough for all.. Started growing grass and added pop door for access to outside grass forage time.. Realised greenhouse got way too hot and it blew down in wild rainy weather anyway.. No good.
IMG_20190402_155942522.jpg

Next, moved back the small coop and picked up a free rooster to satisfy the hens longing to raise chicks.. And I was inclined to accept having cute little fluffies running around :D
Then wanted to build a cheap pallet shelter since the greenhouse blew down and the tarps and ropes were not working in any sort of wind.. The design I saw online to base mine on was..
IMG_20190803_195858716.jpg
So, I ended up moving 2 coops into the new shelter and then built a 3rd coop to house the broodies and chicks .

IMG_20200207_114504180.jpg
IMG_20200206_200848151.jpg
IMG_20200207_114829459.jpg

Alright now, a few additions and subtractions later, I ended up having a cockerel and 2 pullets in 1 large coop fenced off and used some tarps and reused timber pieces for extra weather protection on the shelter.. Then added a screen door from our house for better security.

.. So Now I have this coop setup I need to make completely rain, weather, Winter proof and need to add roosts somehow design it so it can be a huge coop. But the 2 coops inside are staying there. So any ideas?
Size is about 3.5 x 3.5 metres.
See pics, rain comes through sides but I have 1 (right side) tarp awning style at the moment so open all the time but protected from rain. 2 front silver tarps I roll up for more ventilation /rain protection.
I am thinking to staple tarps over 2 other sides to completely cover up.
How to I design inside so I can have at least 20 chickens comfortable? The smaller coop currently has a broody on eggs but can be used for roosting in Winter.
They have access to forage outside the the enclosed run under the trees.
I had a veggie garden attempt but the chickens got in and ate the seeds so I have left them to fertilise it, so now they have access to whole enclosed run.

Thanks for any suggestions!! If you need more pics let me know!

IMG20210115101903.jpg
IMG20210115101845.jpg IMG20210115101926.jpg
IMG20210115102016.jpg
IMG20210115102218.jpg
IMG20210115102731.jpg
IMG20210115102649.jpg

Could you get another structure or frame to make into one giant coop without the need for smaller ones? Hoop coops come to mind.
I'd rather convert the large shelter into a large coop then make another coop. .. I could possibly take apart the large coop inside the shelter but that's sort of additional protection from bad weather although if I could weatherproof the shelter like a coop I could dismantle the large coop inside and use that whole area. The smaller coop makes a great brooder I can close off for a broody to brood in peace so I want to keep that one.

I'd rather convert the large shelter into a large coop then make another coop. .. I could possibly take apart the large coop inside the shelter but that's sort of additional protection from bad weather although if I could weatherproof the shelter like a coop I could dismantle the large coop inside and use that whole area. The smaller coop makes a great brooder I can close off for a broody to brood in peace so I want to keep that one.
Because it's already roofed, I think that you would just need to cover up the large gaps in the walls and seal for drafts. I know that T1-11 is good siding, you could get some of that and put it on?

I admit to not being good at Celsius temperatures, but if I'm reading that right you barely drop below freezing at all, right?

That would be even warmer a winter than my climate so there's little need to provide serious weatherproofing, just to protect them from rain and direct wind.

Don't be tempted to close them up too much. I know silkies are more delicate than chickens with standard feathering, but they still need big ventilation for good health. :)

Because it's already roofed, I think that you would just need to cover up the large gaps in the walls and seal for drafts. I know that T1-11 is good siding, you could get some of that and put it on?
Thanks, I'll have a look into that, although I like clear / transparent material for good light in the coop. And need to consider ventilation holes but so can't completely block it up.

I admit to not being good at Celsius temperatures, but if I'm reading that right you barely drop below freezing at all, right?

That would be even warmer a winter than my climate so there's little need to provide serious weatherproofing, just to protect them from rain and direct wind.

Don't be tempted to close them up too much. I know silkies are more delicate than chickens with standard feathering, but they still need big ventilation for good health. :)
It gets freezing, frost and possible snow.
Hmm.. -2 degree C is about 28 F. But it can be a degree or 2 less some nights. Day is around 10 C sometimes less, (50 F).. Wind chill though can mean a lot colder.
How much ventilation do I need? 1 whole side is open now you see on pic, do I need that for Winter? Or half that?.. Also the screen door is all ventilation but I was going to cover that up for Winter too... I may wrap them in bubblewrap to keep them warm at night? :p:D some people put a knitted jumper on their chickens don't they?

This cold...
IMG20200805101046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom