Coop survived bear attack

I was glad to hear that your flock was safe from the bear. It was sad that your neighbor's dog killed so many of them though before. Do you have dog wardens in your state to stop things such as this. We are fortunate that where I am there are no bears but racoons and we do have wardens that would handle a matter such as that. So sorry you lost so many that way.

At about 10pm this evening a large black bear (350lbs +) attemped to break in to my chicken coop. It managed to rip open a nesting box door and remove the interior feeder before moving onto our "bear box" (trash bin) and our house trash can on the deck.
Thankfully, none of our birds were harmed before we heard the commotion and I (accompanied by my dogs) ran outside and frightened it away.
Point of this post: If a bear wants to get in, and has time to do so, it will. To deter them and most predators:
1. Elevate Your coop (28"+ from ground)
2. Anchor it into the ground (4x4 min. Sunk 2ft deep or to frost depth and backfilled with concrete)
3. Secure all openings with locks and/or wire fencing.
4. Secure siding
These measures prevent easy access. Hopefully, the bear, fox, coyote, coon, etc will have enough difficulty gaining entrance and move on without damage. If determined enough to continue its attempt, it will make enough noise to be detected and frightened away.
We live in the mountains with every predator VA has to offer yet to date, our neighbors pitbull that he voluntarily allows to roam has killed more of our chickens (17) in one day (key: daylight attack on free range birds) than all the native predator attacks we've had over 5yrs combined (4) (0 nighttime fatalities).
These suggestions have worked for me against nighttime attacks. Thought id share and maybe they may help you as well.
I'm a dog lover myself and firmly believe that animal husbandry means responsibility, the animals eat before I do cause they are my responsibility. But, allowing dogs to run wild changes things. We used to live up in a box canyon on the side of a mountain with a small town maybe a mile away through thick woods. We had a nanny goat that ran free around the place as she would stay close and she would warn us when dogs were on the loose by running up on our porch. You hear that clicking of hooves on the deck and know to grab the rifle. 5.56 fixes all kinds of problems, it is humane, even big pit bulls drop instantly without a sound, then it is time for the other two S's in the SSS method. Sad to end a life but the stupid pet owner that allows an eighty pound predator to run loose is responsible, not me.

That and you catching their dog and giving it to the dog warden or taking it to the pound if you have one in your area. If you are afraid that the dog might attack you, then that is a different story. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom