Coop Temperature

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marialane, Jan 3, 2011.

1. marialane

marialane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    We live in Southwest PA. Our Chickens 'reside' in the bottom of the barn. This is our first year with our chickens. What is the lowest temperature for them to endure safely? We have electricity to run a heater if needed.

Thanks!

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi in PA! How many chickens what age and breed? When you say the bottom of the barn I assume you mean the old barns that you can drive underneath whick typically means at least one side is earth? Maybe not, but more info is always better.

Anyway, I have mine in a coop with an attached run, six per unit. At night I lock them into the coop portion our of the wind and elements and I stays approx 8-10 degrees warmer than the outside temp and no wind. I am in New Hampshire and perhaps a bit colder than you.

It has been as low as 8 degreees with winds up to 50 mph and my girls are fine without any heat. Heat is dangerous and can make a bird stationary which could also be bad. Let them be birds if you dare, after all they have nice down coats on!!

3. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    This is my first year keeping Chickens so I am not an eggspert. But, I live in Penn. also and from what I have learned here and have practiced is- Temperature is not so important, Sufficient Ventilation is. It was a very cold December here and my Hens were fine with no supplemental heat. I have 5 hens that spend the night in a 4'x6' coop. They roost on a 2"x4" (4" side is what they roost on so they can cover their feet) I am using the deep litter method. There is a great link on here about ventilation, you should be able to find it by searching ventilation. Very informative. Peace

4. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We live in Iowa and just endured windchills temps in the -20's and this morning it was -10. We have no heat in the coop and this morning the girls were begging to go outside. Ventilation is the key--not heat!

5. theabee

theabee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2013
    This might be a silly idea, but if you live where it doesn't get to cold all the time, it might work at night. If you filled a waterer in the coop with extremely hot water and maybe even put gallon jugs filled with boiling water around the coop, would this produce enough heat (just for the night) to warm it on only the coldest nights? I guess you wouldn't want the water to be too hot in the waterer in case the chickies wanted a drink... [​IMG](thinking of chicken drinking boiling water). But gallon jugs could be filled with boiling water and placed after the chickies had gone to roost so they didn't bump into the hot jugs. It's like those water bottle heaters for bed to keep your feet warm!

I might try this when I get chickens... eventually... unless you think it could be dangerous in some way I haven't thought of.

What do you think? Would it work for a small coop for a few hours at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by