Coop Timing?

Fluffles1

Chirping
Apr 28, 2015
So... I have a 3-week old RIR, a 1-week old Easter Egger, and a 6-day old Barred Rock, in the same brooder. We have their coop ready, but we're wondering when to put them out there. I've heard 8 weeks, but our RIR is 3 weeks. Should we put her out first, or all of them at the same time. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Is you weather warming up much? I think it's best to put them all out at the same time. Your young ones are really much too early for that. If you put the oldest out soon, she would be alone and that isn't good. Generally you put them out at 6-8 weeks depending on their feather development. I would hold back the older ones back - maybe your weather will get warm enough fast, that the youngest will be able to go out at 5 weeks or so.

It's tricky with staggered ages. Usually you want to put all out together, so they knew each other. When adding new chicks to a group there is an integration period which can be rather cumbersome.

Well, drumstick diva... We live in Maine and it was 61 but quite windy this afternoon...

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, it is probably simplest to wait until the youngest one is ready to go out, if you separate them for too long you are going to have to be careful to integrate them again, which is probably going to be more of a nuisance than keeping them all in the two extra weeks the youngest will need to catch up.

So this is our 2 week old Ameraucana and she has a serious scissor-beak. She's at the bottom of our flock's pecking order, but she's very nice. Help please?

Back
Top Bottom