Coop Tin poop pan

My 3 Chicky Babies

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
I have new coop that has a tin removable poop pan for easy cleaning. Currently it has pine shavings on it, but my girls keep sliding and how they slide on it looks to be potentially dangerous. Looking for suggestions on what to place on it to keep them safe while the roost above it.
Thank you in advance ❤️🐥🐥🐥

When I brood chicks in plastic (that is, slippery) totes, I go to the dollar store and buy rolls of the cheap, rubbery drawer liner stuff. It's not adhesive, so it doesn't leave a mess when it's time to remove it, but it is easily scrubbed clean and gives their little feet something to grip.

I have new coop that has a tin removable poop pan for easy cleaning. Currently it has pine shavings on it, but my girls keep sliding and how they slide on it looks to be potentially dangerous. Looking for suggestions on what to place on it to keep them safe while the roost above it.
Thank you in advance ❤️🐥🐥🐥
You have a pre-fab that hasn't been designed for chickens.

It's been designed to appeal to people who just bought chicks that have never owned a chicken before and don't know what they require to stay healthy.
You are going to want to start thinking now about what you will replace it with.

I would remove the tray and staple 1/2" hardware cloth over the slot and bed the coop floor directly.

You will also likely want to raise the roosts further from the floor to discourage sleeping in the nest boxes.
Have you expanded the "run" yet?

Please post pictures of your coop.

Welcome to BYC.

Unfortunately, what you probably have is a rabbit hutch that has been re-labeled by the marketing department -- who didn't really know anything about chickens. :(

Show us some pictures and let us know where, in general, you're located (climate matters), and we'll help you improve your setup so that you and your chickens will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom