Coop tips!

For the ventilation I am using wire mesh

Not sure, but I think you meant hardware cloth? Half inch openings will stop most things, and it also comes in quarter inch which will keep out snakes.

You will be very glad it's a walk-in coop! Your back will thank you for thinking ahead. :) If you can run electricity out there, you will give yourself some options with light or heated water, though you may not need the latter where you are.

Using the dimensions you have makes efficient use of common building supplies, which are often 4x8.

At 8x12, you have room for lots of chickens (or other birds). Enough space and ventilation are two big things to have in the coop. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Not sure, but I think you meant hardware cloth? Half inch openings will stop most things, and it also comes in quarter inch which will keep out snakes.

You will be very glad it's a walk-in coop! Your back will thank you for thinking ahead. :) If you can run electricity out there, you will give yourself some options with light or heated water, though you may not need the latter where you are.

Using the dimensions you have makes efficient use of common building supplies, which are often 4x8.

At 8x12, you have room for lots of chickens (or other birds). Enough space and ventilation are two big things to have in the coop. It sounds like you are on the right track.
Yep I meant hardware clothe 😅

Thanks! I will probably try to get electricity. And also do you guys prefer using staple guns or nails?

I used screws everywhere to help it a little more of a challenge for bears, cougars, and bobcats.
Also any color recommendations to paint it. The pressure treated wood I have in mind now is dark brown (that's for the run) so I am wondering what I can paint the coop.

Also any color recommendations to paint it. The pressure treated wood I have in mind now is dark brown (that's for the run) so I am wondering what I can paint the coop.
What ever you want. Depending on the weather and sun, you may have to repaint it more.

I choose not to paint my coop. I have it on the east side of my detached garage since my main wind comes from the west (great wind barrier) and my detached garage is sided with weathered wood and I wanted the coop and run to blend in as much as possible.
I also used 1/4" hardware cloth.
I also have an enclosed run to help prevent areal attacks but I do let them free range all day long. It helps that I have objects for the flock to hide under and the coop is under trees for the hot summers.

And also do you guys prefer using staple guns or nails?

It depends on what you are attaching. Can you give a specific example? We used screws to put pieces of wood together; removable if necessary. Screws with washers hold up hardware cloth very well. Staples work too, but raccoons can pull out staples.

Paint! I would paint the outside whatever color works for you. Match your house, make it cute, do what you like. I painted the interior white, as I wanted to maximize the light from windows. Also, white gives you better color judgment on anything you need to see. Like the color of the poop under the roost. :rolleyes: I used exterior grade paint for both, and three coats on the inside.

It depends on what you are attaching. Can you give a specific example? We used screws to put pieces of wood together; removable if necessary. Screws with washers hold up hardware cloth very well. Staples work too, but raccoons can pull out staples.

Paint! I would paint the outside whatever color works for you. Match your house, make it cute, do what you like. I painted the interior white, as I wanted to maximize the light from windows. Also, white gives you better color judgment on anything you need to see. Like the color of the poop under the roost. :rolleyes: I used exterior grade paint for both, and three coats on the inside.
Like for the wire mesh...yeah I will just call it that for now but you know what I mean

I'm a fan of barn paint, which is intended to be used over bare, unprimed, rough-cut wood. The drawback being that it comes in a limited selection of colors. Barn red with white trim suits my sense of aesthetics so I'm good with it.

Back
Top Bottom