COOP TO CLOSE TO HOUSE???...tips please =]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicola, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    the photos below were taken at the back door if i build the chicken coop against the back fence near the potted plants would that be too close the house

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

how close is to close to the house?? for safety and health reasons [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    if you dont mind a 'fowl' odor, you could have chickens in your house. Hah.
    but...
    its that type of thing where you use your own judgement

3. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    cause my mum was yabbering [​IMG] about health regulations and chickens being to close to the house cause i am trying to convince her to let me keep the chicken i am rising through my school any ideas on how to persude her??

4. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hens lay eggs. It's better than a dog because they earn their room and board.

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nicola,
    If you want to convince your Mum, then you need to see her point of view first. [​IMG] She has valid points. Believe me, they're valid points! lol

How many birds are you planning to have?

When the chickens are full grown, you won't believe the amount of fertilizer they can produce! I only have four standard hens, so it's a bit easier to keep the smell, flies and droppings cleaned up. If you'll get into the habit of taking care of the fertilizer (where will you put it???), then you can help to calm your Mother's fears.
    I clean out the coop (droppings and most of the pine shavings) every Saturday. These go into an area in the back of our garage and are composted. I've got a 14'x6' run attached to the coop. I throw grass clippings into the area, and sometimes greens from the kitchen. The girls will scratch the area down well, and it looks just like plain dirt. Fluffy dirt, but plain dirt. Once in a while, the run can have an 'earthy' smell, but it's not anything to complain about. I rake/shovel out the top couple of inches every few months and add it to the garden. The hens freerange in the backyard from noon until about 5pm every day. And it's a mess! I am good about cleaning up after them every day, but I'm tired of using water to hose off the bricks, etc. And I walk around the grass and shovel up the chicken droppings so that no one will walk in it and track it into the house.
    I'm going to build a little fence that will let them free range out of the run, but still contain them where people won't be walking.

Have you kept your bedroom clean? Do clean up after yourself in the bathroom (no wet towels, toothpaste cap left off), and put away your dirty dishes in the kitchen? If so, your Mother is more apt to believe you that you'll keep the coop and the chickens' area clean. [​IMG]

Carla

6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:i have seen her point cause we do live in a unit wih a small yard and i just recently clead(more or less tidied) my room and i have said at least 5 time that i will clean up after the chickens (im getting 2 ) i would probaly be putting some of thier poo on the garden and composting the rest or giving it to my grandma for her roses. so ill keep trying to tell her [​IMG] that keeping chickens is going to be good

7. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    My coop is about 20 feet from my house. The worse problem I have had is the flies. If I keepfly strips in the coop it is not too bad but man do flies like chicken poo. During the summer I keep the coop open 24/7 so the smell doesn't get too bad. Hardly noticable outside the coop.

jeremy

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you invited your mom to join you as you visit BYC ?? If she spent a little time reading thru all the post and the forum...she might have a better idea about keeping chickens and she may agree to it then?? Cant hurt to show her and at best , she will become addicted and then you can have all the chickens you want!!! [​IMG]

9. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Hey Nicola -
    Don't know about Oz but here in the US most cities have ordinances regulating how many and where you can keep chickens - if you live in a city then their municipal code should be available to you . . . you could check that to see if there are any restrictions about how close to the house you can put your coop. Plus you also have to take into consideration your neighbors - what you put in your yard is next to their yard, so it may affect them too. In my town the coop has to be 50 feet from any property line; other towns say 50 feet from any residence. I think that's mostly due to smell and flies. If you keep it scrupulously clean that shouldn't be a big problem. Best of luck in convincing your mom - maybe you could let her pick the spot for the coop along with promising to keep it immaculate?

10. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:where would i find the municipal code thing? so i can find out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by