Coop upgrade questions

thanai

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Canada
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be constructing a bigger, better coop in the spring. I learned a lot from past mistakes with my first coop, and plans are that this one will be way more roomy and functional. I want it to be easy to clean, with great ventilation, and lots of space for when I hatch new flock members in the spring. One coop design that caught my interest was the wire bottomed coop, because it seemed like a great way to make cleanup easy and to increase ventilation. However, I have a couple concerns... a). Is a wire-bottomed coop predator proof? b) Will the wire bottom hurt the chickens' feet? (note here: I plan to have a good amount of roosting space so the chickens have lots of room to be off the wire). c) Will it get too cold in winter? Hope somebody has some know-how on this subject! @aart

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be constructing a bigger, better coop in the spring. I learned a lot from past mistakes with my first coop, and plans are that this one will be way more roomy and functional. I want it to be easy to clean, with great ventilation, and lots of space for when I hatch new flock members in the spring. One coop design that caught my interest was the wire bottomed coop, because it seemed like a great way to make cleanup easy and to increase ventilation. However, I have a couple concerns... a). Is a wire-bottomed coop predator proof? b) Will the wire bottom hurt the chickens' feet? (note here: I plan to have a good amount of roosting space so the chickens have lots of room to be off the wire). c) Will it get too cold in winter? Hope somebody has some know-how on this subject! @aart
It can be predator proof with small enough holes in the wire. Which then makes it very difficult for the poop to pass through. 🤔 It certainly offers lots of ventilation but there are other ways of getting it without a wire floor. And, yes, jumping off the roost onto wire can hurt the feet.

Have you considered a walk in style coop with poop boards? That is what I switched over to and I'd never do it any other way. I scoop the boards out each morning and clean the bedding out annually. I can get away with annually because my run has a solid roof and is as predator proof as the coop so I never close the pop door and probably 95% of the annual poop load is either in the run cold composting with the wood chips, in the pen or gets scooped off the boards.

A Wood's style coop in your area would be a great idea too.

Another thing to consider is that the chickens will only be inside the coop at night. They will have full access to an adequately sized run during the day, and access to the coop if they want it, if that makes any difference.

It can be predator proof with small enough holes in the wire. Which then makes it very difficult for the poop to pass through. 🤔 It certainly offers lots of ventilation but there are other ways of getting it without a wire floor. And, yes, jumping off the roost onto wire can hurt the feet.

Have you considered a walk in style coop with poop boards? That is what I switched over to and I'd never do it any other way. I scoop the boards out each morning and clean the bedding out annually. I can get away with annually because my run has a solid roof and is as predator proof as the coop so I never close the pop door and probably 90% of the annual poop load is either in the run cold composting with the wood chips, in the pen or gets scooped off the boards.

A Wood's style coop in your area would be a great idea too.
Thanks for replying @DobieLover ! I'll certainly consider the options you mentioned. That makes a lot more sense - I'm willing to go the extra mile to make things as good as I can for my birds.

If the run has a solid roof?
Yes
IMG_20191203_081415209.jpg

Back
Top Bottom