coop vent question....how to add but not let rain in?

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
If Im adding vents to a solid coop, would I want to put them at the bottom or the top? (I'm thinking top, the builder does it at the bottom, so I wasn't sure). Thanks

***This isn’t my coop, I haven’t gotten mine yet. How would I add high vents without rain getting in? Adding, I have very limited skill (basically none, Id be learning on the fly lol, and I have physical limitations, so hoping for an easy fix). Also, I'm super grateful this man is trying to help me out of this bind....really hoping he is able to make a coop for me this week.

12B20AA5-644E-4C82-BE7D-492BC5D41F92.jpeg

Last edited:
Raise the roof and leave a gap to be sealed with hardware cloth and a larger overhang. Cut out windows and use louvers or flashing. Just a couple of ways. Spend some time reading this sub-forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas.
oh my, I have NO idea how to raise a roof (nor any skill lol). Most I might be able to do is cut some holes and cover with HC. hmmm

Is it built yet? Can you just have the builder take care of it?

General rules/guidelines per bird:
One square foot of permanent ventilation. Ventilation is most important.
Four square feet in the coop.
Ten square feet in the run.
One linear foot of roost.

Good luck and have fun.
they dont really do any modifications.....this is a "I need something ASAP and I'm getting what I can find" sort of thing

Is it too late to find another builder? The bottom vents is very poor design...they shouldn't be building chicken coops.
yes, Ive been searching without any luck....everyone has a 14-16 week wait. This is the only one I can get this week (I had one on pre-order elsewhere but they messed it up, so Im stuck with homeless chicks that need to get out of my laundry room pantry )

Back
Top Bottom