Coop ventilation fan pictures please...........

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
It has been quite warm and very humid here lately...............today, the high was only around 80 degrees,
but the humidity was awful and made it feel sooooooooooo much more uncomfortable than it actually was.

I got home from work around 8 p.m............it was still light out, but the chickens had already put themselves
"in" for the night. I went out to remove the feeders from the run and spend some time with the girls in their coop.
The 2 windows in the coop are open, the two gable-end, 8" x 14" louvered vents are open, the large pop-door is still
open, and a small 10" box fan that I have on a shelf in front of one window is on.................
but when I enter the coop, it is about 10 degrees warmer in there than the outside air.

I use pine shavings in the coop, and plenty of DE............the chickens are out in the run from dawn til dusk, so
essentially, when I remove the poo from the droppings board each morning.........there is very little poo in the coop at all.
There are no odors, no ammonia smell, no unpleasant smells in the coop what-so-ever.
It is just still air in there and much warmer than outside.
I feel bad for them when I shut the pop door for the night...........and can't imagine how warm it will be in there in August!

I 'think' a bigger fan would be a good idea.............perhaps one that can be mounted on a wall...........and one that will
"oscillate" (sp?)................
I'm wondering what y'all do in 'your' coops......fan-wise, that is................and if you could post any pics or give any suggestions
so my girls can be more comfortable this summer.
I would love to put a ceiling fan in there for them, but don't have enough head-room clearance for "me" without the danger of
slicing my head off!!

Anyone have pics or advice?
Thanks in advance.............

Last edited:
We put a roof vent in ours. It seems to work to keep the heat down.
Here's a pic:
25643_img_0541.jpg

Also, if you do put a fan in the coop, consider having it behind wire. We built a section that the brooder lamp and electrical outlets are enclosed in. I'm very paranoid about fires.
This isn't the best pic, but the area is enclosed with a door for access.
25643_img_0525.jpg

My old coop has a huge shade tree and lots of ventilation, so no heat problems. My new coop for the baby chicks is built in the back corner of a detached garage. Unfortunately there is no shade and the building gets very hot. There are two windows in that side and I put two of those twin window fans in, blowing IN. I was hoping it would get the hot air to go out the ridge vent, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I also have a box fan blowing in the coop (it's made entirely of wire, no walls. I have bought a roof turbine (like the one shown in the picture) and hope my brother will help me put it in next weekend. I can open the garage doors while I am home, but must close them if I leave. That helps a little

Now that the little ones can go outside, it's not such a concern. The building seems to cool down pretty well by 9 pm when it gets dark. I leave the fans blowing 24/7. Unfortunately the babies don't have much shade in their area of the yard, so I put up a 10 X 10 kennel shade cover on posts. It only gives 70% shade, so it's not the best option, but it's all I can do right now.

I have thought about how hot it will be in August also.

It has been quite warm and very humid here lately...............today, the high was only around 80 degrees,
but the humidity was awful and made it feel sooooooooooo much more uncomfortable than it actually was.

I got home from work around 8 p.m............it was still light out, but the chickens had already put themselves
"in" for the night. I went out to remove the feeders from the run and spend some time with the girls in their coop.
The 2 windows in the coop are open, the two gable-end, 8" x 14" louvered vents are open, the large pop-door is still
open, and a small 10" box fan that I have on a shelf in front of one window is on.................
but when I enter the coop, it is about 10 degrees warmer in there than the outside air.

I use pine shavings in the coop, and plenty of DE............the chickens are out in the run from dawn til dusk, so
essentially, when I remove the poo from the droppings board each morning.........there is very little poo in the coop at all.
There are no odors, no ammonia smell, no unpleasant smells in the coop what-so-ever.
It is just still air in there and much warmer than outside.
I feel bad for them when I shut the pop door for the night...........and can't imagine how warm it will be in there in August!

I 'think' a bigger fan would be a good idea.............perhaps one that can be mounted on a wall...........and one that will
"oscillate" (sp?)................
I'm wondering what y'all do in 'your' coops......fan-wise, that is................and if you could post any pics or give any suggestions
so my girls can be more comfortable this summer.
I would love to put a ceiling fan in there for them, but don't have enough head-room clearance for "me" without the danger of
slicing my head off!!

Anyone have pics or advice?
Thanks in advance.............

Back
Top Bottom