Coop ventilation feedback

achickymama

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 24, 2013
Alaska
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

So here is what we did for ventilation only I'm thinking now that we might need more. My husband designed it thinking the pop door would remain open all winter (we're in Alaska) but I'm not sure that they'd be warm enough.

His other thought was to install 6" dryer type vents in the gables on each side.

The coop is 6'x4' and the side vents are 6"x4'

Thoughts or ideas from more knowledgeable people than us? ;)

I'm far from more knowledgeable, but we're in norther WA, and though it doesn't get alaska cold here, it still gets brisk. we only have whatever natural gaps there are from building the coop and slight soffits, AND we never put doors on because the wind kept damaging the ones we had on our first coop no matter what we did to them, and turns out our chickens are happier (or so it seems!) and they actually sleep right by the door looking out. I tried putting a door on afterwards and they weren't having it. Our low right now is getting to the mid 40s, and they don't seem to mind. One girl was even perching on a piece of wood right outside the pen for a few nights. I always try to remember they have down doats on and heat will bother them before cold will.

I'm far from more knowledgeable, but we're in norther WA, and though it doesn't get alaska cold here, it still gets brisk. we only have whatever natural gaps there are from building the coop and slight soffits, AND we never put doors on because the wind kept damaging the ones we had on our first coop no matter what we did to them, and turns out our chickens are happier (or so it seems!) and they actually sleep right by the door looking out. I tried putting a door on afterwards and they weren't having it. Our low right now is getting to the mid 40s, and they don't seem to mind. One girl was even perching on a piece of wood right outside the pen for a few nights. I always try to remember they have down doats on and heat will bother them before cold will.

Well thats good to know :)

I'm mostly concerned about our 0 to 20 below snaps. I'm hoping they'd be ok with the pop door open because doing much more work to the coop is gonna drive my husband up a wall
th.gif

I should also add I'm trying the deep littler method for this winter and so thats where my main concern is coming from. I want to make sure they have good air quality while keeping the moisture down.

Without regard to the eventual temperatures that you experience, the chickens need ventilation to allow the ammonia fumes to vent out of the coop while fresh air enters. There should be enough of a flow of air to do this. Check the coop as it is to see if the air is clear. If so, that is how much ventilation you need, and will need in winter. The chickens should be protected from drafts. If the outlet and inlet are offset, then the air will not blow through the coop. It will vent naturally, the warm air will rise and exit while the fresh air will enter.

As the weather cools in the fall, the chickens will acclimate to the change as do all animals. They have impressive feather insulation on their bodies. The cold to which they can adapt is less dangerous than the accumulated fumes that can poison them.

Chris

Im beyond new to this lol but Im trying to do some studying on ventilation before building the coop have the supplies (after digging through my grandparents barn pack rats are great as family members!!!) But my neighbour has one of those basketball shaped vents on their coop and says it helps. Still doing my research but that's one of the things Im checking into for winter weather here in Kentucky ;)

Without regard to the eventual temperatures that you experience, the chickens need ventilation to allow the ammonia fumes to vent out of the coop while fresh air enters. There should be enough of a flow of air to do this. Check the coop as it is to see if the air is clear. If so, that is how much ventilation you need, and will need in winter. The chickens should be protected from drafts. If the outlet and inlet are offset, then the air will not blow through the coop. It will vent naturally, the warm air will rise and exit while the fresh air will enter.

As the weather cools in the fall, the chickens will acclimate to the change as do all animals. They have impressive feather insulation on their bodies. The cold to which they can adapt is less dangerous than the accumulated fumes that can poison them.

Chris

Awesome! Thanks Chris!

Back
Top Bottom