Coop ventilation in high heat

Dsotto

Chirping
May 4, 2020
I'm working on finishing my coop. I have 3, 5 week old EEs that are outside during the day and inside at night. It's now 100 in Texas so they are going out full time soon. Here is the inside of the coop. There is another identical window across from the one you see above the roost. I have a 4.5"x4.5" wall fan that I will install. I have to cut a new hole. Would it be best to put near the bottom (blowing out) to circulate the air in from the tops and push it out the bottom? There is a fence right behind that window so I was planning on using the small fan to force circulation at night.
Figured to get some advice before cutting the hole in the wall 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_164923.jpg
    IMG_20200604_164923.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 54
low blowing out will pull the heat down and make the coop warmer I would think. If its up high blowing out I thing it would blow the hot air out causing cooler air to rise and the higher air to be a cooler warm....if that makes sense lol

low blowing out will pull the heat down and make the coop warmer I would think. If its up high blowing out I thing it would blow the hot air out causing cooler air to rise and the higher air to be a cooler warm....if that makes sense lol
In my mind if they are roosting at the top, wouldn't I want to pull the warm air down and out and have the fresh air on them? It's a muffin fan so low and quiet. But what you say makes sense too... Fans on all the walls!

fresh air and cool air are 2 different things
The air in the bottom of the coop won't be cooler than the outside air though, right? We're looking at 80 degrees at night give or take. Maybe I can squeeze it in directly right of the window, but then won't it just pull straight across and not up from the bottom?

Can you post pictures of the outside of the coop? How large is that coop in sq ft?
I would have one entire wall away from the prevailing winds completely open in your climate. Just cover it with very well attached 1/2" hardware cloth. Have a large overhang on the roof on that side of the coop.

Can you post pictures of the outside of the coop? How many birds are you planning on keeping in it?
I would have one entire wall away from the prevailing winds completely open in your climate. Just cover it with very well attached 1/2" hardware cloth. Have a large overhang on the roof on that side of the coop.
I wish I could have a whole wall open but it won't be protected from rain and will soak the bedding and I don't want water in the coop. I will add another window on both sides though, plus the fan. I just don't know if I should put the fan high or low. There is also a ridge vent.
3 birds in 15sq ft coop. 33 SQ foot run with free range 50% of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_204442.jpg
    IMG_20200604_204442.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 24
I am in Arizona. I have an open air coop. Sometimes, I wish it was enclosed to put AC in. Despite fans, misters, and soaker hoses my ladies are panting! And, it is an open coop (cattle panel hoop coop enclosed in hardware cloth). I would put an AC unit in.

I wish I could have a whole wall open but it won't be protected from rain and will soak the bedding and I don't want water in the coop.
I'd put a very large and solid roofed run right over that coop, then open up a wall.
The fan is not going to do much at all, no matter which way it is blowing.

Not that hot here, tho we still suffer(me and the birds) from the heat.
Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

I'd put a very large and solid roofed run right over that coop, then open up a wall.
The fan is not going to do much at all, no matter which way it is blowing.

Not that hot here, tho we still suffer(me and the birds) from the heat.
Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
So the first suggestion won't work because of where the coop is situated and I can't build above it because it will go above fence level and that isn't allowed. The whole area is shaded through the day so that helps.
I could open up the back wall but there will be basically no air flow since it's so close to the fence and moving it isn't an option, in order to fit city ordinance it has to be in that place.

Today I'm going to make the cleaning doors on the north side mostly Into hardware cloth but it will get water inside when it rains sideways. There's just no way around it so I'll have to just deal with it . I'm going to do PDZ and sand on the floor because it won't get gross like the shavings.
The east facing wall has one window and I will be adding two more that are lower. I am also going to add a 4"x 2 foot vent/window across the back wall above the poop board. The fan will go in the top window. Even if it's not perfect it's much better than the current situation. We won't be living in Texas forever because I hate heat so I've been careful with them because I don't have to wear a feather coat 24/7 so I know they probably aren't happy either.

A fan will be better than nothing to pull air through. Last night was stuffy and humid in there. It wasn't breezy at all so there was zero air flow (I put the temp and humidity gauge in there).

They are getting ice blocks in water during the day but they tend to avoid it, hopefully it grows on them. Then really just like to sit in front of the fan circulating air through the run. I'm giving diluted electrolytes right now since it just jumped up and they're outside 24/7 now. I'll back off in a couple days but I wanted to help them manage the stress of the move.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom