1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop ventilation question ???????????????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    im haveing a 10x12 gambrel syle coop built next week will 2 16x8 square vents work one on each end of coop .

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    please don't post duplicate threads -- give people a day or two to reply to the existing one. Rather than just a few hours [​IMG]

I'd go with more, but 2x8x16 does not sound woefully insufficient.

However if you mean the plastic louver-shaped things, be aware that they offer less actual ventilation area than first glance would suggest... all the ones I'm familiar with just have thin slits cut in there, so the ACTUAL area for airflow is much less than the outer dimensions of the vent, you know? This may be less true of metal ones... but basically take a close look at whatever you're thinking of buying, see how much hole it REALLY gives you.

You will probably want to fit them up with a way to partly or totally close them off in inclement weather, especially since they will not be protected by a roof overhang.

HTH,

Pat

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by