Coop ventilations

Ilovechickens28

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
So the coop we have has windows for ventilation. But they are right by the roosts. Should I lower the roost or keep the windows shut and make different ventilation up high. With the winter coming I want to be prepared. Thanks
549696BE-2DE7-4830-A1AD-E6A837BFFB7E.jpeg
A704E5A8-EA9B-4D07-B20F-D793912C1C93.jpeg
9F2A6193-BA88-410F-A5D9-25BC2F224BEF.jpeg

Generally, cold is not an issue for chickens unless its really, really, really cold. OTOH, cold breezes on chickens are a problem, and inadequate ventilation is a problem year round.

Based on pictures, I would both lower the roosts and either replace the shutters with louvers or similar, or change the shutter into a slide like a typical chicken door, so you can leave the bottom partially covered as needed against inclement weather. You may also want to consider adding ventilation at the eaves, or, if design allows it, under soffit and ridge venting for time.

How big is the space, 4'x6'? and how many chickens inside??? You don't have a location listed so I am simply guessing at your climate.

The coop is 4x5 and we have another coop that is a little bigger than 4x4 we have 15 chickens. And we live in southern Maine

I can't speak to the climate, but that is too little space for that many chickens, and too little ventilation as well. Particularly once they are forced into that space long term due to weather.

The "rule of thumb" is 4 sq ft of floor space, and 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird. You have room for half the chickens that you have by those measures.

No chance you can, at minimum, connect those two coops together with some 4x8 panels or 4x12 panels and turn it into a much larger coop?

Ventilation should be higher, opening the eaves might work, but need to see the whole coop outside.
X2.

Also, it looks from your photo, thst maybe there is a big triangle gable type end? That could be completely posed out and replaced with wire?

Not sure that you have space to drop the roost... I would try to completely rethink ventilation, because the windows at perch height are bad... I am not sure how you could keep them open, even baffled, without wind and snow getting on the chickens....

Back
Top Bottom