Coop vs Tractor question

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Right now we have a substantial coop. DH built it from scratch and it looks like a commercial built tool shed.
love.gif

We just tore down the run - DH called it the ghetto run. And he attached a small rectangle run for now.

We also have a "tractor" DH built that is quite the posh thing! Very small, meant for only few transitioning chicks it started out being a "tractor" and ended up being SO heavy it can only be moved with a tractor!

It isn't what I wanted really. I am planning to build a bamboo and chicken wire tractor. Only a long rectangle with a tarp over one end.

So here is my question: Do any of you use both a coop and a tractor?? Like, have a coop and permanent run but sometimes put the birds into a tractor for the day ?? We have a serious predator problem so the flimsy tractor that I can move myself will not hold up for overnight protection. Ideas???

edited to add: We have 14 adult birds, five teens not yet laying, and a mama and 4 babies in a brooder in the garage.!

Last edited:
We have been using our tractor as a "day spa" for the younger girls, until the new coop is sufficiently finished for them to move into that space. Before, we would use the tractor as a sort-of chickeny jail, for those who picked on others. When we move the younger girls into the new coop, we will continue to use the tractor as a broody space for Tuney (Petunia) our Cuckoo Marans who is sitting in the nest box, up top.
Our tractor is fairly heavy, too, but my husband added plumbing (metal) pipe along part of the side, and out from the end, to use as a handle and push/pull for elevating and rolling the tractor to a new spot every day. Works pretty well. Would work even better if our lawn was even.
hmm.png

Yes, that's exactly what I do. See my BYC page for pictures.

It works perfectly. The chickens quickly learned the routine and it's very easy to herd them from their stationary coop into their daytime tractor and vice versa. They're very well trained.

Back
Top Bottom