Coop window coverings to keep noisy squawking hen sound in?

chickcritty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
Now that it is warming up and my neighbors will most likely have their windows open I need to find something to muffle the noise from the chickens in the morning at the crack of dawn. Is there anything out there that will provide ventilation and keep the noise contained? Or maybe if I just keep the light out of the coop? Maybe shade cloth - would that darken it enough that they still think it's nighttime? Or do I just need to resign myself to letting them out each morning at 5:30?

well .. to me... ventilation and sound containment are opposites of each other... you cant have it both ways... i have a plywood outter shell of a coop... i have plywood cutouts for windows... the plywood is then hinged as a window cover... if i want it quiet in there.. the covers come down... to allow ventilation the plywood goes up... im not sure you can have it both ways...

Hens? You're concerned about the noise from HENS in the morning?! Your neighbors ain't lived and neither have you if you don't have a rooster.
If your neighbors complain about your hens' noise, give them something to complain about... Get a rooster!

My chickens talk all during the night. A hen squawks, a rooster crows and noise happens. It does not matter that you have it dark in the coop, they will know what time it is and if your neighbors might complain then they live too close to the coop and they need to move.
lau.gif

One of my hens is super squawky, her voice really carries. A Buff Orpington. When she wants out she wants out immediately! Brat. She is right up there with the noisy crows living in the neighborhood. I used plastic tarp in the wintertime and that seemed to help with the noise but now that it's warming up I don't want them to cook in there. The coop is only 4x4. I thought Buff Orpingtons were quiet! I guess she is except when something displeases her - when "her" nestbox is being used when "she" wants to use it, or if she wants attention, treats, etc., etc. The Black Australorps are the "good" chickens.
lol.png

can you put up other noise barriers like a solid fence and/or tall bushes?

I vote you just take them free eggs, that will probably make them not complain so much.

Our neighbors are very nice. Nobody has complained and they probably wouldn't anyway. I just don't want to disturb anyone that early in the morning. We're building a new bigger coop so maybe I'll plant some shrubs around it. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep letting them out super early. Thanks for the responses
smile.png

Quote:
I am SO glad someone else has a noisy Buff! Mine tries to crow and is the loudest of my 6! It's kind of funny when I catch her doing it because the other girls run from her or stop and just stare - I sometimes wonder if they think she's loud, too!! LOL!
big_smile.png

I agree get a rooster lol

I live in a pretty urban area with houses at the bottom of my garden where the chicken coop is .. The surrounding neighbours both next to me and at the bottom of the garden are all nice people and dont really complain about my chickens .. Even though I do have a rooster who starts to crow as early as he can ..

Because of the relationship with the neighbours I just tell them to close there windows if they are bothered about it ... I also say if other people around us can have dogs all day that bark all of the time .. Why cant I have a Cockerel that crows when he wants something

I do agree with ChixPix though ...Free eggs is always a good barter tool
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom