Cooped up, so decided to get chickens!

Cierann

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2020
Hello. I'm an urban farmer. I have had ducks and geese, but took a break from feathered friends. Since I am now an at risk person for covid (for several reasons), I am stuck at home. This has me paying far more attention to my immediate surroundings, as well as realizing that some fresh eggs would really be nice! In addition, I hear that chickens can be really sweet, and more company would be nice.

I'm thinking of getting 1 orpington and 2 faverolles. I know they are large, and both friendly. Good for beginners. (Well, I am a beginner for chickens.) Okay layers. And will sit eggs. I believe these two breeds will get along. I'd like to get eggs to hatch, but I don't know how practical this is. We do know how to cull birds (and eat them). We do not want to generally let them have run of the yard, as our previous landscaping was destroyed by ducks and geese. That means a much larger, enclosed coop and run. Plus, that will keep them safe from our many predators. (But keeping them enclosed may also mean hatching a bunch of eggs and raising them to culling age - is out of the question due to space considerations.)

I need a coop. I have searched all over the place, and people want to sell you over priced plans (and I have no idea if they are any good), or over priced coops - which seem to often be quite unclear as to the square footage. The reasonably priced coops look flimsy. My husband and I are perfectly capable of building a chicken coop, but don't want to reinvent the wheel (do it without good plans).

I'd love to hear some feedback about my ideas, but especially ideas about where to buy good plans (books or websites), or which companies are making coops worth the money. I particularly like the coops which are above a run, and honestly do not see why expanding the size of the run should be >that< expensive.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom