Cooper’s Hawk, will it come back?

Heatherwicz

Chirping
Jun 13, 2020
We were sitting inside yesterday when we heard our female Rouen duck start screaming, followed by two of our hens. We ran outside to check what was going on and lo and behold we had a hawk stuck in our coop area. It’s a latticed in area, with bird netting over top, along with a enclosed run area (which the hawk got stuck in when we came running out.) Our birds are always free roam, and we did know we had a hawk scoping out the area and we had hopped letting our German shepherds guard the birds was helping to scare it away...turns out not. Now since he was trapped in the run, we did throw a towel on him, catch him and release him.
He didn’t get any of our babies! But, will that be enough to scare the hawk out of coming back? We figured it was a juvenile since he had no luck catching any of them, our smallest birds being silkies and Easter eggers. I would feel terrible having to force the birds into the coop since they love free roaming the back yard, and I loved the pest control! But if this is the safest way at the moment they are staying in!

47691859-9ED6-4285-880F-AE097441ADEC.jpeg

1E257EF5-24CE-4AD8-B012-D433076C6A21.jpeg

FAB80019-3092-4B42-900C-7D71D2142914.png

Ditto to what Sourland posted. Additionall, even if your juvie hawk learned its lesson, because of the migration that’s currently in progress, it is highly probable that another migratory hawk will come along and make a move on your flock. Strict supervision is sage advice that should be adhered to for the next several weeks. Hawks are my hens‘ #1 predator threat, even with an abundance of raccoons, foxes, possums and skunks that live in the woods backing our property. This time of year is very challenging and stressful for chicken keepers and their free ranging flocks. Good luck with your girls!

I call it juvenile based on coloration rather than behavior. It could also have been after small birds, but a much larger duck also possible. If juvenile it will be moving about a lot anyway until it can setup its own territory.

Back
Top Bottom