COOPER'S HAWK GOT MY EVELYN! How do I protect the rest of the flock?

I've heard hen aprons can help a bit, but they aren't guaranteed to save lives or anything. Could you maybe make something to go over the dog area?

Sorry about Evelyn. I've been there
sad.png

Quote:
Do NOT shoot the hawk, please. I'm sure you know that they are federally protected and the fine is hefty enough to make you sorry you did. Of course, if you do, I'm sure 7L would be happy to send you the money to cover the fine.

Also, fishing line is not a good idea. When it blows down, and it will eventually, it will not decompose and small animals, birds, and your own chickens and pets can become tangled and injured in it. Please do not clutter nature up with more plastic trash.

Quote:
Do NOT shoot the hawk, please. I'm sure you know that they are federally protected and the fine is hefty enough to make you sorry you did. Of course, if you do, I'm sure 7L would be happy to send you the money to cover the fine.

Also, fishing line is not a good idea. When it blows down, and it will eventually, it will not decompose and small animals, birds, and your own chickens and pets can become tangled and injured in it. Please do not clutter nature up with more plastic trash.

The money I spend to raise them & have some over rated bird eat them not this cowboy. Hawks are beautiful but my chickens mean more to me plus they feed me. Nope. I'm all for the wildlife & have put more back to nature than most but don't mess with my livestock. Sorry. Federal Gov. SSHHH. They sit behind a desk I live where the predators do.

I'm not sure if they understand the dog is there to protect them

Don't fool yourself into thinking the dog being there is going to matter to the hawk.

Odds are the dog won't even know the hawk is around until it hits the chicken, and then it's too late​

Quote:

The money I spend to raise them & have some over rated bird eat them not this cowboy. Hawks are beautiful but my chickens mean more to me plus they feed me. Nope. I'm all for the wildlife & have put more back to nature than most but don't mess with my livestock. Sorry. Federal Gov. SSHHH. They sit behind a desk I live where the predators do.

I wish it didn't bother me so much to lose my hens that I incubated, watched hatch, raised, labor so hard to give them a clean , humane life . I don't no about others , but for me It's to much for me to take . I would kill it in a flash if I could , I've lost three in the last month, and I've seen it about 4 times the last 2 he couldn't catch them , hopefully there getting smarter and faster to the coop !!!! But my 22 is ready and waiting if he gives me the shot I will take him out for sure . Sorry I'm not saying It's right , And I no It's not the popular thing to say but 7l your not alone my friend.

order bird netting from amazon... 12x75 was like 12 bucks..... use zip ties to attach to fence, attach 1 end, pull tight on other end, attach ties..... run your next length with about a foot of overlap...... lots of zip ties..... havent lost a bird to a hawk since,, we had hawk, eagle problems... we had become the hawk restaraunt...... now it's coons....

So sorry. My favorite got killed, and my 22 year old son is still upset I loved to let them free range, but not anymore unless we are outside with the dogs. Now, I let them out of the chicken wired area into the " play pen" on weekends. It was my husband's garden area (sorry honey), and was fenced to keep out deer, but I have claimed a 50 x 50 foot area. I researched aviary netting and it is pricey. Since I wanted to get an idea of what this was all about before spending a fortune, I bought a 50 x50 foot net from Amazon.com. It was only about $50! I like it. I wouldn't trust it unattended forever and certainly not over night, but now I don't have constant anxiety when they are out on weekends. Good luck. Hawks are very crafty and once they get one, will stalk forever it seems.

Quote:

I wish it didn't bother me so much to lose my hens that I incubated, watched hatch, raised, labor so hard to give them a clean , humane life . I don't no about others , but for me It's to much for me to take . I would kill it in a flash if I could , I've lost three in the last month, and I've seen it about 4 times the last 2 he couldn't catch them , hopefully there getting smarter and faster to the coop !!!! But my 22 is ready and waiting if he gives me the shot I will take him out for sure . Sorry I'm not saying It's right , And I no It's not the popular thing to say but 7l your not alone my friend.

Just protect your livestock plain & simple. I do it everyday. People break the law every second I'm not saying its right. But protecting my animals come on. These so called animal activist don't raise chickens. I hatch raise them for sixs months to get eggs & I'm gonna let a hawk kill my chickens. Nope, not me. Its your call my chickens mean more to me than some over rated chicken killer. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom