Cooper's Hawk in the yard

Quote:
I know it's possible for chickens to not turn tail and run but to turn the tables on the would be chicken thief.
I have a coopers hawk that makes a living at my bird feeders. When my chickens are free ranging and the hawk dives the bird feeders and misses he or she lands on the ground trying to figure out what it did wrong. Slyvester and Junior (my roos) always come running side by side and run it off. Last year a red tail made a swoop on my chickens and landed on the ground a RIR and WR hen ganged up and ran it off.

I think that physically they could take on a hawk on the ground, but mine are terrified and just watch as their buddies are killed and eaten. Maybe if I could borrow your two girls to show them how it is done. I think the coopers hawk is too small to carry off a chicken, but it will kill them and eat them on the ground. I've had one chase my full grown game bird around yanking out feathers until I came running over. We have some huge red tails here. They come down so fast I don't think any chicken could withstand that hit. In my opinion, the coopers are the worst, they land on the ground and chase my chickens around until they can kill them. It's like having a fox with wings. Not only do you have to net, you have to fence!!

The coopers hawks that visit our yard daily have never messed with the adult birds. Once and only once one took notice of the chicks in the yard and did a little swoop over. Luckyly I was standing by and gave him/her the fright. My bantam roos have even gone after the cooper while it was on the fence and ground... And it doesn't even go near my big ol leghorn rooster Kernal.

Quote:
I like this idea...my husband likes crows with lead shot and a powder chaser. We have quite a few farms near us so crows are in abundance. I like the thought of having mother nature help protect my chickies.

Back
Top Bottom